Advertisement

kdevelop

Started by May 16, 2007 02:35 PM
6 comments, last by hydroo 17 years, 4 months ago
Is there a beginners tutorial for Kdevelop? I need something that starts from installing Kdevelop to making a hello world project I have Kubuntu 6.10 I had Suse before and it was the same problem when I installed kdevelop. Something about cmake. I just need simple, "baby" step by step guide.
Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);
Well I had a similar problem some time ago. Frankly I haven't been able to find a full tutorial. There is some help in all kinds of Linux forums, though.

If you still have a problem w cmake do something like this:
Project->New Project->(C/C++)->Simple Hello World Program (or something similar, not under the cmake tab)

This will use automake instead for your project, and then there should be no problems.
_______________________________All your base are belong to us.
Advertisement
Yes, of course, and when you add a single file you wait half an hour for autotools to do their job. Fascinating.

I recommend that you should use Eclipse, instead. It is the only IDE that can possibly compete with Microsft Visual Studio's code completion in the GNU/Linux world. Eclipse is written in Java, so make use to use Sun's propertiary virtual machine, or it will be pretty slow.

And about the tutorials - ask google. But do not excpect something great or fascinating. Programmers do a lot of work to create KDevelop and Eclipse for free, so it is understandable that they are a little bit lazy to write a descent documentation. Your best friend is google and the forums it will take you to. Try with ubuntu forums and the KDevelop forums, if you prefer it. There ask for a link to a tutorial, or, if they are willing, to write a short one themselves.

Good luck!
ahh.
i got a problem with kdevelop too. if i add more than x (don't know the exact number - maybe 40 ) source files (.h and .cpp) the app seems to fill up my whole ram. at the end it crashes.<br>if i add the files in little steps. this means 10 files, 10 files and so &#111;n it does not crash but if i close and reopen the project it does the same.<br><br>anybody similar problems?<br>i am using fedora core 6. i just updated from 4 to get rid of this problem - but it still exists.<br><br> maybe i will just switch to eclipse but if you got some hints i would appreciate it because kdevelop seems pretty nice to me.<br>
Quote: Original post by dilyan_rusev
Yes, of course, and when you add a single file you wait half an hour for autotools to do their job. Fascinating.

Usually you have to add the filename to the appropriate Makefile.am and rerun make, which obviously does not take half an hour.

Quote: Original post by Eitsch
ahh.
i got a problem with kdevelop too. if i add more than x (don't know the exact number - maybe 40 ) source files (.h and .cpp) the app seems to fill up my whole ram. at the end it crashes.<br>if i add the files in little steps. this means 10 files, 10 files and so &#111;n it does not crash but if i close and reopen the project it does the same.<br><br>anybody similar problems?<br>i am using fedora core 6. i just updated from 4 to get rid of this problem - but it still exists.<br><br> maybe i will just switch to eclipse but if you got some hints i would appreciate it because kdevelop seems pretty nice to me.<!–QUOTE–></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE><!–/QUOTE–><!–ENDQUOTE–><br><br>I use Kate, which has the same editor I believe. If I open too much files it gets hell slow to close them. Everything else works just fine.<br><br>I tested Eclipse-CDT a while ago … it was pretty decent.<br>But the highlighting of the keditor (kate,kedit,kdevelop,…) is way better, imho.<br>And &#111;ne thing more:<br>I opened a QT-App in CDT. Every time I did a "." or a "-&gt;" it took like 3-10seconds to pop up the freaking "intellisense" or what its called.<br>I believe it ran through the whole QT-Headers. I searched for an option to switch it off - nothing?!<br>For me that was a reason to sudo aptitude purge eclipse-cdt 8[<br><br>Continuing with kate and the commandline ;)
Quote:
I tested Eclipse-CDT a while ago ... it was pretty decent.
But the highlighting of the keditor (kate,kedit,kdevelop,...) is way better, imho.
And one thing more:
I opened a QT-App in CDT. Every time I did a "." or a "->" it took like 3-10seconds to pop up the freaking "intellisense" or what its called.
I believe it ran through the whole QT-Headers. I searched for an option to switch it off - nothing?!
For me that was a reason to sudo aptitude purge eclipse-cdt 8[

Continuing with kate and the commandline ;)

I use Eclipse with CDT on linux, and the first thing I do when installing it is turning of the "intellisense", or content assist as it's called. You can find it in Window->Preferences->Editor->Content Assist. You might as well turn of the indexer too in that case. The content assist is indeed pretty worthless right now, even though it was almost usable with my new dual-core cpu, but it's supposed to become much better in CDT 4. We'll just have to wait and see [smile]
Advertisement
Ok, I installed Eclipse as well last time I booted into Kubuntu.
I will be able to make C++ programs with Eclipse, right? I'll try and see when I'm back home.

dilyan_rusev, yes I know these tools aren't as good as VC++, but I don't understand why the product doesn't work out of the box (Kdevelop).
It's not good to force people to do research for hours just to understand what cmake is.

With VC++, put in the CD, run it, put CD2, etc.
The CDs have everything on them.

Some time ago I had Suse 10.0, it came with kdevelop, but I had that same cmake not found, ****** error 127
I uninstalled kdevelop
I downloaded the latest version (well, Suse came with the latest anyway)
I compiled for 30 minutes, then I make this "cmake based hello world project" and it says cmake not found, ****** error 127
OMG!
I went back to gcc and command line. Then I went back to VC++ (in Win XP)
Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);
Quote: Original post by Perost
Quote:
I tested Eclipse-CDT a while ago ... it was pretty decent.
But the highlighting of the keditor (kate,kedit,kdevelop,...) is way better, imho.
And one thing more:
I opened a QT-App in CDT. Every time I did a "." or a "->" it took like 3-10seconds to pop up the freaking "intellisense" or what its called.
I believe it ran through the whole QT-Headers. I searched for an option to switch it off - nothing?!
For me that was a reason to sudo aptitude purge eclipse-cdt 8[

Continuing with kate and the commandline ;)

I use Eclipse with CDT on linux, and the first thing I do when installing it is turning of the "intellisense", or content assist as it's called. You can find it in Window->Preferences->Editor->Content Assist. You might as well turn of the indexer too in that case. The content assist is indeed pretty worthless right now, even though it was almost usable with my new dual-core cpu, but it's supposed to become much better in CDT 4. We'll just have to wait and see [smile]

That's nice to hear. Nevertheless the highlighting in kate and vim is way better. And switching between the editor and the commandline is pretty fast ... (using screen or yakuake)
I got used to it, so I doubt I'll give eclipse a second a try, unless there's some super-nifty-stuff integrated :D.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement