🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Java+Linux = Slow

Started by
3 comments, last by qurob 23 years, 3 months ago
Why is Java so slow under linux? I have a PIII 700, and running Redhat 7, and Java games are horribly slow compared to my Windows 2000 machine that is only a Celeron 533. Is there anything I can do? I''d much rather develop under linux than Windows. I''ve noticed this same thing with RH 6.2, Linux-Mandrake, and Corel.
Advertisement
Probably because there are more people using Windows, which means that more resources get put into developing Java VM''s for Windows.

~~~~~~~~~~
Martee
http://www.csc.uvic.ca/~mdill
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
If the browser game requires the jre plugin, you''re in luck, as you have the ability to pick which JIT compiler you want. However most games out there don''t. So you''re stuck with the Java implementation included in the browser. However some browsers like Konqueror and Netscape 6, I think, allow you to specify the Java Implementation that you want to use so they''lll be able to take advantage of faster implementations that have been made.

joeG

joeG

joeG
It''s probably because you are running your own code and you don''t know what you are doing.

Here''s the scenario. I''m just checking out some games at playjavagames.com, and notice they are way slower under linux. One machine is a P3 700, the other a Duron 700. Both are very fast under Windows 2000, but when you play the games in Linux, RH 7 or Turbo 6.1, Netscape 4.x or 6 . . . The keyboard support seems a little buggy.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement