Advertisement

Critique my monitor purchase

Started by March 08, 2007 12:13 AM
5 comments, last by ViperG 17 years, 6 months ago
I'm replacing my monitor array. They are getting on in the years, and I'm selling the whole set up for enough of a dollar count to make me finally make the jump into upgrading. Anyway, because I use a few monitors [read : 3], replacing my setup is expensive. For this reason, I don't want to buy a piece of crap, and spend 750 dollars redoing my monitor setup for something I won't be happy with. Anyway, this is what I've got in mind. If you've got a better idea, of have any experience with this unit, please let me know. I can't find this model in stores anywhere, so I can't actually 'see' it, but it looks like exactly what I want on-paper. What do you all think?
I have the 930bf model.

19”
700:01
0.294mm
1280 x 1024
4ms

Most samsung lcd monitors have minor light bleeding when looking at a full black screen at the edges.

But it's good if your into gaming. But there are better monitors to get if you want better colors.
Black Sky A Star Control 2/Elite like game
Advertisement
Moving to hardware discussion.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Quote: Original post by Drigovas
I'm replacing my monitor array. They are getting on in the years, and I'm selling the whole set up for enough of a dollar count to make me finally make the jump into upgrading.

Anyway, because I use a few monitors [read : 3], replacing my setup is expensive. For this reason, I don't want to buy a piece of crap, and spend 750 dollars redoing my monitor setup for something I won't be happy with.

Anyway, this is what I've got in mind. If you've got a better idea, of have any experience with this unit, please let me know.

I can't find this model in stores anywhere, so I can't actually 'see' it, but it looks like exactly what I want on-paper. What do you all think?

I'm not too sure what you're looking for in a monitor, but check out this baby: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824009091

Lot's cheaper, [[[[widescreen]]]] (trust me, widescreen is AWESOME), same 19". Acer has lots of good monitors, they're a good company. I have that exact monitor sitting right in front of me, actually. Games are AWESOME, and the widescreen 19" look crazy compared to some old 17" eMachines CRT. I can't really imagine TWO of these side by side...

It's a 5ms response time, too.
It would help if you could let us know what you're going to be doing?

The needs of someone using Photoshop and 3ds Max all day are different than the needs of someone using AutoCad, which are different from someone running Microsoft Flight Simulator, or Xterm, or Microsoft Word.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Thanks for the input, and the sugjestion looks pretty.

About 90% of my time on this machine is spent in either blender, gimp, or [the majority of the time] vs2005 [obviously then it's a windows machine.] I keep my room pretty dim, so I need something that I can adjust to not be over-powering with brightness and burn holes in my eyes for vs2005, but something that I can also kick up the brightness and contrast to get good color definition with blender/gimp.

The remaining 10% is gaming, and I'm willing to spend that extra few dollars to get something that [won't have any/will have minimal] ghosting and graphical artifacts.

I'm not using it as a multimedia station or anything, so I don't need huge view angles.

In short, I am looking for something that is widely adjustable, but still performs well. I need it to have low brightness when I'm programming, have high brightness and rich colors when I'm doing graphical work, and a responsive system for gaming.

Adjustability of the stand is meaningless to me, becauase I already have things I'm going to mount it on. Also, I don't want on-board speakers [thought if they tag along on something that is otherwise perfect, I'll put up with them, but won't ever use them. Speakers on the side of the screen is a deal-breaker, since then they won't meet up together nicely.]. This is for a multi-monitor setup, so thin borders would be a major plus.
Advertisement
go with a viewsonic lcd if you want something all around good.
Black Sky A Star Control 2/Elite like game

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement