Advertisement

So I bought a new computer...

Started by March 03, 2007 01:11 AM
19 comments, last by daviangel 17 years, 6 months ago
Remove a screw next to the ram, if there is one.
Maybe you have a fork in your computer? :-)

Jokes aside, that's not entirely unheard-of. Modern motherboards have all kinds of safety features and self-test doo-dads. It may be that the mobo comes on, the BIOS looks for <feature X> and sees X is not there, so it turns off any further power.

Have you hooked up the power LED and the power button? Is the polarity right? A power LED with the wrong polarity has onced cause the symptoms you describe for me (as far as I could tell).

Are you sure the CPU fan is hooked up to the right CPU fan connector? A mobo that doesn't sense a CPU fan won't boot.

Do you have a graphics card in? Many BIOS-es will freeze up if they can't actually display their power-on graphics.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Advertisement
Some new motherboards only support core 2 duo with a certain BIOS version. Chances are your motherboard does support it, but you recieved a one with an older BIOS version.

If it doesn't say it supports it however, then it probably doesn't, they are usually quite specific in saying whether they do or not, and probably wouldn't generalise it as being a pentium 4.
No, I assure you there is no fork inside :D

I tried removing two screws nearby the RAM slots. It was still happening. Fan not spinning.

I tried one other thing. I removed the processor and the RAM. This time, just the fan is plugged in. Turn on the mobo, the fan stays idle for 2 seconds, then it starts spinning (I was like "w00t!"). OK, so the mobo does receive some power. Then I put the processor in (RAM is still out), and put on the fan. Doesn't spin...

Yeah, it could be a BIOS thing (but I don't have an extra P4 to test it), or it could also be a bad processor.
What is the wattage of your power supply?

I had a problem like this once. I had a 350w PSU, and it would turn on for 1 sec and turn off again. I replaced it with a 400w PSU and everything worked fine.
These new CPU's use a lot of power ;)
The PSU is 275W. I would assume it'd be enough because it says that it supports the Intel Core 2 Duo.

edit:
I figured the problem out. It does support Intel Core 2 Duo, but it doesn't support Intel Core 2 Duo 4300! !@#@!%

[Edited by - alnite on March 4, 2007 10:14:15 PM]
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by alnite
The PSU is 275W.

Whoa. Thats pretty low wattage, especially if you're considering putting a 3D card in there too ;)

If you're gonna use this as a gaming machine (i.e. it's gonna have lots of powerful hardware or multiple hard-drives) I'd consider getting a 450w or 500w PSU just to make sure it's "future proof" (for example, when I added an extra HDD to my computer with the 400w PSU, it stopped working until I unplugged a few of my extra fans. Now I need a 450w to power everything.)
Quote: Original post by Hodgman
Quote: Original post by alnite
The PSU is 275W.

Whoa. Thats pretty low wattage, especially if you're considering putting a 3D card in there too ;)

If you're gonna use this as a gaming machine (i.e. it's gonna have lots of powerful hardware or multiple hard-drives) I'd consider getting a 450w or 500w PSU just to make sure it's "future proof" (for example, when I added an extra HDD to my computer with the 400w PSU, it stopped working until I unplugged a few of my extra fans. Now I need a 450w to power everything.)

Unless he plans on sticking a highend vidcad like a 8800 or 1900 ati he should be fine since I'm running all the following with only 350W but it is a quality psu.
running/testing Vista Ultimate x64
ATI radeon 1300 vidcard
AMD athlon X2 3800
EVGA AMD sli board bundled with cpu NF41
36GB old raptor drive
misc old Maxtor/WD IDE harddrives
SB Audigy soundcard
2GB kingston hyperx ram
plextor 755sa sata dvd burner
Antec 350 smartpower PS in antec black case

As far as the cpu/motherboard not booting if it a pre intel core2 release motherboard you might have to send the board back if it doen't already have a core2 compatible bios in it since the only way to flash it would be to boot with a celeron/P4 first which alot of the first people to buy core2 motherboards had to do and some people even bought a cheap celeron just to flash the bios which is stupid to me.
It should give off some beep though so you could look up the bios beep codes to be sure.

[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
It's not just the wattage people. It's also the brand, the amps, and the overall quality. A Fortron Source (FSP Group) 400W (that I have in an old eMachines, 230$ upgrade made it run like a 100% quality beast) will be better than some no-name 600 watter. Besides, it won't really deliver 600W. Trust me.
Quote: Original post by agi_shi
It's not just the wattage people. It's also the brand, the amps, and the overall quality. A Fortron Source (FSP Group) 400W (that I have in an old eMachines, 230$ upgrade made it run like a 100% quality beast) will be better than some no-name 600 watter. Besides, it won't really deliver 600W. Trust me.

Speaking of such, you got me wondering if a PSU of the same power would have different wattages in different countries? In Australia we have 240v power, but the US is 110v or something, right? Assuming both countries have the same input amps, would you need more/less watts to run the same computer in a different country?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement