Advertisement

one of those threads: buying a new computer

Started by February 25, 2007 11:36 PM
19 comments, last by hplus0603 17 years, 6 months ago
Second list:

(1) ASUS Pundit P3-PH5 Intel Socket T(LGA775) Intel Core 2 Duo / Pentium D / Pentium 4 Intel G965 Barebone - Retail

(1) ASUS 16X DVD±R DVD Burner with 12X DVD-RAM Write and LightScribe Black E-IDE/ATAPI Model DRW-1612BL-BK - OEM

(1) Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

(2) ViewSonic Value Series VA902b Black 19" 8ms LCD Monitor - Retail

(1) Leadtek WinFast PX7300GT TDH 128MB DDR3 Extreme Geforce 7300GT 128MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

(2) CORSAIR XMS2 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model CM2X1024-6400 - Retail

(1) Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 Allendale 1.8GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E4300 - Retail
Based on your original post dualcore is out the window in your case since you mention that you play alot of older games and dualcore is not 100% compatible with older games and even not so old games like flight simulator 9!
I found that out when I built my first dualcore rig over a year ago. A lot of games have dualcore patches or fixes out now but some games will never ever run on a dualcore rig so I keep a spare singlecore computer for those games.
So I suggest if get the fastest singlecore cpu you can get your hands on and you'll probably find great deals on them now since intel/amd have started to convince people they need dualcore even though a majority of apps don't even make use of the second core and even new games like flight simulator X!
So that out of the way it looks like you were right on with your first pick of an AMD cpu since we know Intel doesn't carry any good singlecore cpu's.
If you plan on running Vista you'll need at least 2GB ram for decent performance and less disk thrashing from all the reviews I've read. Also make sure to get 2x1GB matched pair of ram to run in dual channel mode.
Also since it looks like you were originally going for SFF pc I came up with this list.
One thing I don't like about it is that they only offer ATI card which wouldn't be my first choice due to poor linux support in the past.
If you don't have to have a small form factor pc you can't build a way better pc for game given your budget as this $800 gaming pc article shows.

[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by alnite
Second list:

(1) ASUS Pundit P3-PH5 Intel Socket T(LGA775) Intel Core 2 Duo / Pentium D / Pentium 4 Intel G965 Barebone - Retail

(1) Leadtek WinFast PX7300GT TDH 128MB DDR3 Extreme Geforce 7300GT 128MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

The case has low profile expansion slots, the 7300 isn't going to fit.

Also instead of buying two 1GB sticks separately I would suggest you buy them paired (the 2x1GB sticks). Most likely they are already tested together and it will save you some money.

Quote: Based on your original post dualcore is out the window in your case since you mention that you play alot of older games and dualcore is not 100% compatible with older games and even not so old games like flight simulator 9!
I found that out when I built my first dualcore rig over a year ago. A lot of games have dualcore patches or fixes out now but some games will never ever run on a dualcore rig so I keep a spare singlecore computer for those games.

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't that a problem with AMD X2 processors only? I remember having to download dual core patches off AMDs site even to get newer games to run like C&C Generals way back.

You can also always set the processor affinity so I don't see that as a problem...

Quote: Original post by nts
Second list:

Also instead of buying two 1GB sticks separately I would suggest you buy them paired (the 2x1GB sticks). Most likely they are already tested together and it will save you some money.

Actually I can't find any good 2x1GB sticks that receives 99% positive reviews (no complain of crashing or manual settings). They cost usually >$220 (mine both cost $218), unless I didn't spot them.

Is the 7300 really won't fit in that case?

Leadtek WinFast PX7300GT TDH 128MB DDR3 Extreme Geforce 7300GT 128MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail.

That doesn't look that big.
For AMD X2 CPUs, simple install this to fix most dual-core game issues:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html

As for the "low-profile" case fitting Video Cards. The term most used is "half-height. ANY card which has a full sized PCB cannot fit in a half-height case, period. You must look for those cards with a small PCB that use a seperate cable to connect the 2nd DVI/VGA port slot ... in these cards you can swap the full-height bracket with a half-height bracket.

As for the AMD vs Intel issue. Intel has the performance lead right now, especially once you hit $300 CPUs, but AMD still has absolutely great parts at the low end prices ($80-$215), so really either choice is totally viable and good right now.

(Personally, for a person who wants less than $1000 to get 2 monitors and 2 GB of memory, I'm think the $110 AMD X2 3800+ is your best bet. Plus since its so cheap, you won't mind when 2 years from now you replace it with a $150 CPU that is about 50% faster.) But whatever CPU choice you make will be fine, just make sure it's either a Core 2 Duo Intel or AMD X2 (no Pentium D, no Sempron, etc).

As for Video Cards, both ATI and Nvidia are fine, and the 7300GT is a fine card, but for almost NO more money a 7600 GS or possibly even a 7600 GT might make sense. On the ATI side the X1650 Pro is probably your best bet (and gives performance that is sometimes below the 7300GT and sometimes above the 7600GS depending on game engine). One good thing you might consider is that the X1650 Pro, 7600 GS, and 7600 GT can be found in a fanless model if you care about noise (Gigabyte makes most of them).

I highly recommend 2 GB ram (1GBx2) before any other upgrade (like CPU). 2GB of ram will feel better and be more noticable to you than almost any other difference.

P.S. If you go a small form factor PC, the 7600 GT might be a little hotter / more power hungry than you'd prefer (if its a little 280 or so watt PS). If that is the case, the 7600 GS and X1650 Pro should still be considered though (I like the nvidia at this price, but its almost a tossup). On the other end of the spectrum, if you want to actually do dual monitor gaming (like Supreme Commander) the 7600 GT is actually the lowest end card that is really good enough for that - and the X1950 Pro is a more reasonable choice for the future (although I think the 7600 GT is still a great card for the money).

In general any modern computer is good enough as long as the video card is at least 128-bit memory bus.
A link to my a favorite el cheapo CPU (although I'm getting the 4600+ for my next comp, that's cause I play a LOT of new games)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103729
my current favorite AMD shuttle case, but I think its a little expensive (personally, probably would go normal case and save almost $200):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16856101004
for lower end setups (mainly setups using non-power hungry video cards), this is nice enough:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16856101011
here's a good X1650 Pro:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814103020
here's a passively colled X1650 Pro:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814125043
here are the cheapest decent 7600 GTs:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814170099
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130073
passively cooled 7600 GT:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814125025
passively cooled 7600 GSs:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814127211
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by nts
Second list:

Quote: Based on your original post dualcore is out the window in your case since you mention that you play alot of older games and dualcore is not 100% compatible with older games and even not so old games like flight simulator 9!

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't that a problem with AMD X2 processors only? I remember having to download dual core patches off AMDs site even to get newer games to run like C&C Generals way back.

You can also always set the processor affinity so I don't see that as a problem...

It's not AMD only it's just that AMD probably got more exposure due to actually releasing a tool to try to fix the problems people were having whereas I don't know what Intel did?

"For those that are, the issue is not unique to AMD processors, Intel dual core processor users are also reporting the same issues with certain games."
But in the end unless you have a ton of older games like myself that you like to play every now and then you are unlikely to run into the "Benny Hill" effect.
Games I've personally seen it on include Matrix game and all SWTKOR games.

[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
look bro , I dont know what is your budget but I can advise you some things :
1 . ram memory - you SHOULD TAKE ddr 2 becuase it is the best but you dont need more then 1 giga ram - it will be waste of money .

2. about the cpu - of course buy amd or intel but you should take the new tech
(64 bit /doul core) and dont buy celron .
i recommend you to take at least 3.0 ghz about the cpu .

3 . graphic crad - you said that you are not gamer
but you shuold take a nice card at least ati readon 9500 or gforce 5500 .
those are a nice cards and any game will work on them .
Quote: Original post by tomerd646
1 . ram memory - you SHOULD TAKE ddr 2 becuase it is the best but you dont need more then 1 giga ram - it will be waste of money .

please ignore almost everything in this post.

1. I use Visual Studio 2005 at work and can say that the 2nd gig of memory is noticable. I only have 1GB at home and it is totally fine, no complaints, so feel free to save money. But 2GB is very usefull and getting MUCH MUCH more so, especially on Vista.

2. Do get 64 bit and Dual Core, do NOT but a celeron or sempron. But they don't even make a 3 GHz CPU in the current tech (or at least not in the normal price ranges).

3. Any game will work on a GeForce 5500 or Radeon 9500? WRONG ... Supreme Commander Won't, the Upcoming Unreal Tournament 2007 won't. And the OP specifically said he wants to have modern feature support so he can do any development work he wants and see the results - he just doesn't care so much about performance. For completely modern features you really want to have at least shader model 2.0 supprt, and HDR lighting range support is really neat too.
Quote: Original post by Xai
Quote: Original post by tomerd646

please ignore almost everything in this post.

1. I use Visual Studio 2005 at work and can say that the 2nd gig of memory is noticable. I only have 1GB at home and it is totally fine, no complaints, so feel free to save money. But 2GB is very usefull and getting MUCH MUCH more so, especially on Vista.

2. Do get 64 bit and Dual Core, do NOT but a celeron or sempron. But they don't even make a 3 GHz CPU in the current tech (or at least not in the normal price ranges).

3. Any game will work on a GeForce 5500 or Radeon 9500? WRONG ... Supreme Commander Won't, the Upcoming Unreal Tournament 2007 won't. And the OP specifically said he wants to have modern feature support so he can do any development work he wants and see the results - he just doesn't care so much about performance. For completely modern features you really want to have at least shader model 2.0 supprt, and HDR lighting range support is really neat too.

Yup, the only useful information was not to get a celeron/semperon but everyone should know that since they are pretty much castrated cpu's!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement