Advertisement

12ms response time for lcd monitor???

Started by January 20, 2007 11:46 AM
16 comments, last by dave 17 years, 7 months ago
Samsung monitors are awesome, I agree. I have the samsung 710T and I never notice any blurring or banding, though I'm not really a hardcore gamer.
You'd ideally want something 8ms or faster like someone else said. 4 and 5 ms monitors are not that hard to find.

Something that's also important to consider is the resolution and scaling issue. As you probably know, LCDs have a fixed resolution. So if your monitor has a native resolution of 1280x1024 and your video card can only handle some game at 1024x768, the monitor will apply a scaler to make the image fullscreen. Many scalers, especially on cheaper monitors, produce poor-quality images. It may be un-noticable in fast-action scenes, but static elements such as text and UI can look pretty crappy. The moral of the story, I guess, is to aim for a native resolution to match you're favored gaming settings if thats important to you. Failing that, make sure that the scaler produces acceptable quality.

This is actually the main reason I've not yet make the transition to an LCD. The trade-off being that I now have a 24" widescreen CRT on my desk that weights 95lbs... 15lbs more than the 46" DLP in my living room :D

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Advertisement
I've seen 8ms monitors that ghost and 24ms monitors that don't. Rely on reviews for a specific screen; the reported response time is worthless.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
I have this monitor. I don't notice any blurring on FPSs, but i'm not a hardcore gamer. YMMV.

It's fine for my needs.
i have decided to get the samsung because it gets very good reviews on a few websites, and im not willing to spend more than 150 pound.
http://www.geocities.com/asdasd12345/
I can recommend the Samsung 913N, i have two of them, FTW. Supposedly 8ms response time.
Advertisement
I have two Samsung 172x's and I can't complain a bit, they both have 12ms response times. however Sharlin does make a very very good point in that not all manufacturers get these numbers the same way. Unless you hear a lot of good things about it, best to try and find it in a store so you can see it in action. This is pretty much a good idea for any LCD monitor

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Adding to why you should view it in store, this is a great idea so that you can see if there are dead pixels :D.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement