Advertisement

Help with dual channel memory

Started by January 12, 2007 08:49 AM
3 comments, last by ravyne2001 17 years, 8 months ago
Hi, I have 2 x 512 pc3200 400 mhz ram modules here. ASRock VIA PT880 775Dual-VSTA motherboard, supports dual channel memory This is their timings as displayed by CPU-Z. Slot 1: 133 MHZ 2.0 2 2 6 166 MHZ 2.5 3 3 7 200 MHZ 3 3 3 8 Slot 2: 200 MHZ 2.5 4 4 8 133/166 are not displayed the actual timings running right now are 200 MHZ 3 4 4 8 Command Rate 2T the timings in the bios are auto and the ram is running in single-channel mode. I have tried setting everything manually with no success. Are my timings incompatible? Help please. [Edited by - Riviera Kid on January 12, 2007 9:54:12 AM]
--------------------------------Dr Cox: "People are ***tard coated ***tards with ***tard filling."
There should be a setting for 'clock by SPD' or something like that, try setting it and it might well force it to work.

When it comes to dual channel you might have to have the ram in set slots; it's not uncommon to require them to be in slots 1 and 3 for example
Advertisement
The 133/166 speeds you posted are for the first DDR400 module if you were running it at DDR333, DDR266 correct? You don't actually have 4 Dimms in the machine? I think thats what you're saying, I just want to confirm.

What stands out to me is that the timings are different for the Dimm1, Dimm2 DDR400 speeds you've listed. Are the Dimms from a matched set or are they different brands/bought at different times? Different brands, types, and even steppings of Dimms aren't guaranteed to work in dual-channel mode.

If they are indeed a matched set, then Phantom probably has it, you need to put the dimms into the first channel 1 slot, and the first channel 2 slot. Usually, but not always, they alternate. The Slot nearest to the CPU is channel 1, the next is channel 2, then chanel 1 again, and so on for as many slots as you have. They're often color-coded as well, channel 1 might be black slots (or clips) and channel 2 might be blue for instance, color can vary by mobo. Sometimes, they are all the same color, or channel 2 uses 45 degree slots, like my mobo.

Good luck, hope that helps, but failing that, just try moving the second dimm to other slots and rebooting until it comes up as dual channel, and make sure that any bios settings you may have to set are correctly configured.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

there are only 2 DDR slots (2ddr and 2 ddr2, 4 slots in total). They are not a matched set. By slot1/slot2 i meant 'the memory currently in slot# has this timing'

ill checkout 'clock by SPD'. Cheers.
--------------------------------Dr Cox: "People are ***tard coated ***tards with ***tard filling."
My guess would then be that the Dimms are not compatible with each other in Dual-channel mode. Sometimes you'll get lucky and two different modules *might* work in dual-channel using the slowest timings, which is what your 3.4.4 timings indicate, but it looks like they're not gonna run in dual channel mode.

If its really important to you, at least RAM is among the cheapest upgrades you can do. 1gig matched sets (2x512) can be had for $100, sometimes less, and 2gig sets can be had for as little as $160 or so, more for DDR2 modules.

Better luck next time.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement