Advertisement

Problems with my internet connection

Started by January 12, 2007 05:27 AM
6 comments, last by ArchangelMorph 17 years, 8 months ago
I'm trying to get my PC at home to connect to the internet and i'm having no luck whatsoever.. When I try to connect to the router using DHCP the Pc isn't allowing the router to assign it a dynamic IP address.. It's assigning itself a strange IP address starting with 169.something or other.. I've tried setting a manual IP address and it doesn't work.. It says its physically connected but I can't connect to the internet.. When I try to repair the connection it says it failed when trying to renew the IP address.. When I try to ping www.bbc.co.uk or www.microsoft.com it says it can't find the site.. When I try to ping the router it just loses all the packets.. When I check the status of the connection it looks like it's just sending packets and never recieves any.. I've got two ethernet ports on the back of my PC and it does exactly the same with both of them.. I bought a PCI gigabit ethernet card and it does the same with that too.. I've tried to connect to the internet in 3 seperate houses using three seperate connections from three seperate ISPs and it does the same thing.. I'm getting a little depressed cuz I don't know what to do at this stage, I'm not very good with networking.. I really hope someone can help me..
Moving to HW foram
Advertisement
What brand and model is the router? Since you can't connect to it I assume you can't access the HTML setup. Did you try installing the software that came with the router on the PC? There should be a button for resetting the router, have you tried that? The local network should be 192.168.1.x. What is assigning itself a strange IP address? The router or the pc? If you just bought the router have to tried taking it back and exchanging it for another? If you've never gotten the router to work it could simply be a defective router rather than something you did wrong.
Keys to success: Ability, ambition and opportunity.
Are you sure you put the computer on a LAN port on the router and not the WAN port?
Ra
Quote: Original post by LilBudyWizer
The local network should be 192.168.1.x.
Actually, it should be either:
10.x.x.x or
172.16.x.x to 172.31.x.x or
192.168.0.x to 192.168.255.x
See http://tcpipguide.com/free/t_IPReservedPrivateandLoopbackAddresses-3.htm

The IP address that is getting assigned automatically I assume is to the WAN side of the router, which is the address it has on the internet, and should be quite different from the above.
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms
Quote: Microsoft TechNet
If your local address is returned as 169.254.y.z, you have been assigned an IP address by the Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA) feature of Windows 2000. This means that the local DHCP server is not configured properly or cannot be reached from your computer, and an IP address has been assigned automatically with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0. Enable or correct the DHCP server, restart the local computer, and see if the networking problem persists.
Ra
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by iMalc
Quote: Original post by LilBudyWizer
The local network should be 192.168.1.x.
Actually, it should be either:
10.x.x.x or
172.16.x.x to 172.31.x.x or
192.168.0.x to 192.168.255.x
See http://tcpipguide.com/free/t_IPReservedPrivateandLoopbackAddresses-3.htm

The IP address that is getting assigned automatically I assume is to the WAN side of the router, which is the address it has on the internet, and should be quite different from the above.

I meant more what the router likely defaults to and not the range of valid values. The thought being that the router is, most likely, defective. You can get a router for like $40 so, to me, it would be worth it just to see if the problem is the router or the client configuration. You can always return it after you see if you can connect if the money is an issue.
Keys to success: Ability, ambition and opportunity.
Quote: Original post by Ra
Quote: Microsoft TechNet
If your local address is returned as 169.254.y.z, you have been assigned an IP address by the Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA) feature of Windows 2000. This means that the local DHCP server is not configured properly or cannot be reached from your computer, and an IP address has been assigned automatically with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0. Enable or correct the DHCP server, restart the local computer, and see if the networking problem persists.

See I think this is what the problem is but when I goto internet connections>right-click on the connection>properties>click on TCP/IP>goto advanced/properties (can't remember off head)

It's telling me that DHCP is enabled.. I've tried submitting a manual IP address in the form of 192.168.blah blah, and it still doesn't connect..

My router is assigning IPs fine on the other three computers connected to it and my PC does the same thing when I try to connect directly to the internet, on several connections in multiple locations AND through several routers..

If I need to "correct" the DHCP server then howe do I do that?

re-install the OS?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement