Advertisement

Netgear SC101 Storage Central

Started by January 05, 2007 08:43 PM
4 comments, last by LilBudyWizer 17 years, 8 months ago
I have a dualcore AMD X2 processor. Is there any way to disable one of the cores to deal with poorly implemented multi-threaded applications? Edit: Since this seems to be a SCSI device conflict, according to Netgears site, I decided to change the name. [Edited by - LilBudyWizer on January 6, 2007 1:08:17 AM]
Keys to success: Ability, ambition and opportunity.
Use the Task Manager's process affinity option, or one of the many affinity-based launchers.

You might also want to get the AMD dual-core patch.
Advertisement
I suppose you could set the program to have affinity to one "processor" - you can do this in task manager for windows. Wouldn't really guarantee much, I think. You could look in your BIOS also and see if there's an option.

Not entirely sure why you would do such a thing, though.
Looks like a suitable topic for the new Hardware Discussion forum. [wink]

- Jason Astle-Adams

My old PC crapped out and I bought a new one. The new one has SATA II channels rather than PATA like the old computer. I pull the two drives from the old computer and I have two other drives setting around. I have three external enclosures and four drives. I have a LinkSys Network Storage Link, but you just plug external USB drives into it, i.e. you need external enclosures for the drives. The power supply went bad on it though. Personally, premature hardware failure is always a bad mark for a hardware vendor.

So I decided to try Netgear's SC101 Storage Central. It's about the same price as the LinkSys, but since it houses two drives I figure it saves $60 on two enclosures though at this time I would really only be buying one enclosure. I load two drives in it and figure it works pretty much like the LinkSys. That being that it would have a browser interface for configuring it, the drives would look no differant on the network than a drive shared from another computer and once I plugged everything in the drives would be online.

Nope, wrong, I have to format the drives. Windows shows the filing system as DATAPLOW_ZFS, whatever that is. Well, damn, I have to pull the drive from the old computer back out of the SC101, put it back in the external enclosure and back it up. It takes two hours to back it up through USB. Yeah, it would take longer across the network, but the plan wasn't to backup the drive, but rather just leave it setting on the network.

So I get it backed up and go to start configuring it. I start locking for it's name on the network so I can log onto it, but, no, you have to use their software. You go through a SCSI driver so that it looks like a local drive rather than a share from another computer. Ok, fine, whatever. I go to install their software on my new computer, but, no, it craps out and reboots the entire system in the middle. I figured it was a conflict between threads, but they actually had mention of this on Netgear's site. It's a conflict with SCSI drivers.

Their sage advice is to disable SCSI drivers and applications. That's nice, but there is no SCSI devices on the computer. What I do have, and I suspect the source of the conflict, is SATA II channels. Just two sentences, that's all they have for a problem they are aware of. So, oh boy, all I have to do is disable the drivers for my disk drives so I can install their software onto the friggin drive. Overall, I must say, I am grossly disappointed.

I seem to really have no choice but to go buy a replacement for the LinkSys device. It was a great idea for a product, why did they have to screw it up. It says clearly on the side of the box that it requires Windows. So why fool Windows into thinking it's a local drive when Windows has facilities for accessing shares on the network. Right now I'm just throughly disgusted.
Well, I found more details, it's a conflict with the Promise SATA drivers so, unless a patch is released, I'm not using it on this machine. Looking around I could have attached the PATA disk to the new computer. Also how it attachs is apparently the differance between SAN and NAS. Apparently NTFS doesn't handle sharing in a SAN environment very well.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement