Advertisement

Solid state hard drive.

Started by January 05, 2007 02:39 PM
27 comments, last by LilBudyWizer 17 years, 8 months ago
Quote: Original post by smr
Quote: Original post by MushuAccording to SanDisk, the SSD UATA 5000 is rated at "two million hours mean time between failure (MTBF)."

Two million hours playing solitaire or two million hours playing world of warcraft on 256 megs of ram?

??? does WoW access the disk that much ??? Is it constantly pulling in assets constantly ?? (also reading isnt what wears out FLASH mem - its the writing....)

--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact
One thing you have to remember with MTBF with disk drives is that it is not a reflection of the expected life of the device. Two devices can have the same MTBF and drastically differant life expectancies. A device could have a life expectancy of just a month and a MTBF of a million hours. Replace it every month with a brand new one and there's a 63% chance you'll have one fail before you replace it before the MTBF elapsed. MTBF is based upon an expected usage as well. What you can expect to happen if you significantly exceed that expected usage can vary significantly between two devices with the same life expectancy and MTBF.

Personally, since it isn't a hard drive I would like to see more stats on it's reliability. Like it's expected life and under what write volume you could reasonable expect to see that life expectancy. Not necessarily specifically stated, but perhaps some guidelines as to when it is an appropriate choice over a hard drive. Can I use it in a Media Center comptuer with a PVR to record four hours of TV five days a week 52 weeks a year and expect it to last five years?
Keys to success: Ability, ambition and opportunity.
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by wodinoneeye
Quote: Original post by smr
Quote: Original post by MushuAccording to SanDisk, the SSD UATA 5000 is rated at "two million hours mean time between failure (MTBF)."

Two million hours playing solitaire or two million hours playing world of warcraft on 256 megs of ram?

??? does WoW access the disk that much ??? Is it constantly pulling in assets constantly ?? (also reading isnt what wears out FLASH mem - its the writing....)

When you have enough system memory, you barely notice hard disk activity in WoW. But when you're running on insufficient memory, the hard disk thrashes like wild due to paging. Don't even THINK about walking into Orgrimaar or Ironforge. You'll regret it.
I was recently at a recruiting session for SanDisk and several people asked about the write-lifetime issue. According to the presenters from SanDisk, it is still an issue but for applications such as cell phones and iPods where writes are not as frequent this technology is far more reliable than current hard drives. If I recall correctly, they said the number of writes was still only in the millions.
I guess it would depend upon millions of what. If that were write operations to the device it would be low, but if were how many times an individual location could be written then it should be more than sufficient.
Screw $600, try $169 (for 16 GB, no word on 32 GB pricing).
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Promit
Screw $600, try $169 (for 16 GB, no word on 32 GB pricing).

That's a lot better. Almost worth paying, actually.
hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- the fear of big words
Personally, I don't really use all that much Hard drive space on a regular basis, I bet I could fit my OS, swap file and most frequently used programs in 32gigs pretty easily.

I'm builing a new machine around June, and I'm hoping the machine itself will only have a smallish, solid-state hard drive, with all other drives on external SATA in an external enclosure (DVD burner, DVD reader, secondary traditional HDDs in raid.) The custom enclosures I'm hoping to house it all in would be the size of a slightly longer Shuttle-style case each, stackable with recessed handles.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Quote: Original post by Ravyne
Personally, I don't really use all that much Hard drive space on a regular basis, I bet I could fit my OS, swap file and most frequently used programs in 32gigs pretty easily.

I'm builing a new machine around June, and I'm hoping the machine itself will only have a smallish, solid-state hard drive, with all other drives on external SATA in an external enclosure (DVD burner, DVD reader, secondary traditional HDDs in raid.) The custom enclosures I'm hoping to house it all in would be the size of a slightly longer Shuttle-style case each, stackable with recessed handles.

Go for broke, mortgage the house, sell your first born and get a DMX-3.

Seriously, I would be interested to hear more details on what type of external enclosures you plan to use and how you plan to connect it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement