🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Linux Network Install

Started by
3 comments, last by avianRR 23 years, 3 months ago
How do you install Linux (specifically Slackware 7) from a network share on another system? I''ve tryed setting up the root and boot disks with the network support and using them but I can''t figure out where/how to configure and set up the network card. I know how to configure a network card on an already installed Mandrake system (from the command prompt) so I''m not totally ignorant of how this works. I''d also like to know how to set up a system to run off the network. Anotherwords a minimum install of linux on each system to boot with then have all the software installed on a server partition to share with all the networked sytems. How I''d like the configureation to be... Server - has shared Slackware distrabution. + +--> Workstation - Full linux install. + +--> Workstation - Full linux install. + +--> Workstation - no or small hard drive & Runs off server + +--> Workstation - no or small hard drive & Runs off server
------------------------------Piggies, I need more piggies![pig][pig][pig][pig][pig][pig]------------------------------Do not invoke the wrath of the Irken elite. [flaming]
Advertisement
Hi,

Don''t break your head on ftp and such coz it won''t work.

Use NFS - thats supported on slackware 7. You need to setup the other computer for NFS, and load a boot and root disk(this depends on your hardware) and specify during installation that you are gonna use NFS(actually it will ask you).

You can do networking using telnet ssh etc I guess.
Also xdm and gdm etc.
Hello from my world
quote: Original post by flame_warrior

Hi,

Don''t break your head on ftp and such coz it won''t work.

Use NFS - thats supported on slackware 7. You need to setup the other computer for NFS, and load a boot and root disk(this depends on your hardware) and specify during installation that you are gonna use NFS(actually it will ask you).

Well, duh! I said I have the distrabution on my server, running samba, nfs, etc... so I can get to it from the network. My problem is getting the setup disks to recognize and use my nic (a ne2000 compatable). Then I should be able to install.
quote: Original post by flame_warrior
You can do networking using telnet ssh etc I guess.
Also xdm and gdm etc.

problem with telnet is it runs the programs on the system you connect to.
I probably should have posted this as a seperate question but I want to set up minimum systems that can run programs on them as requested by the server. And have there files all on the server. I found something on ''bootp'' that almost sounds like what I''m looking for. Basically, the system boots off a floppy or small Hard drive (I have a bunch of old 85M and 110M drives laying around) and mount''s a file system from the server to run off of.
------------------------------Piggies, I need more piggies![pig][pig][pig][pig][pig][pig]------------------------------Do not invoke the wrath of the Irken elite. [flaming]
Sounds like a dumb terminal to me...
Basically you should be fine with your distros install disks. You boot up the workstation from those and specify the nfs export on the server as install source (put the install files there...) and perform an absolute minimum install. Afterwards you can delete the /usr, /opt, /home, ... directories and redefine them as nfs mounts in the fstab. The important thing is to keep the /boot, /bin, /sbin, /etc, /dev, /lost+found, ... dirs intact since they are probably needed for bootup.
There are ways to make the system boot entirely off a server, but that one should keep it relatively simple. Plus the workstations aren''t 100% dependent on the server.
Which NIC ? Maybe you need to use a kernel which supports your NIC. Try netconf, or netconfig don''t remember. But thats what you use(probably netconf - not on linux to tell you) for setting up a NIC in linux.
Hello from my world

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement