🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

libSDL is 1 must for every linux game developer!

Started by
14 comments, last by federickrex 23 years, 3 months ago
I think libSDL isn`t for linux only what DX is for windows, but much more. It make you able to easy port your games on many OS: now: various unix like operative sistem, beos, win32, macos in the future: winCE (many game-consoles), linux on endrema, your palm???? ;-) just go here: www.libsdl.org it''s free and he give its source code, what do you want more?
Advertisement
Noooooooooo! Must... use... Clan... Lib!!!

Currently consolidating my power...

Commander M
(a.k.a. Crazy Yank, digitalp1aya, and countless other things)
http://commanderm.8m.com
CmndrM@gdnmail.net
Ahem, not all of us game developers want training wheels
for the rest of our lives.

Wrapper libraries are nice for beginners, but they''ll
severly limit Linux to Windoz''s shallow world of features.
Tara Milana - WP Entertainmenthttp://wolfpack.twu.net/Comp graphics artist and programmer.
i don''t think so:

making portable code let make the advanage of linux
only linu''s advantage

I hope linux will overburn ;-) windoze
but we must now make software that permit users to chose what os is better and try it by himself.

I don''t wont to rewrite the code of my game fo every platform... i would like to be able to play it also in the 3001 year on a quantic PC.

So portable code it''s a must for me. Use portable c/cpp.Explain me:
you don''t use mesaGL... cause ure game may be compiled in windows?????

libSDL = directX like openGL = direct3D

we must use what others made before better that we can make... if u save time, u can in the same time use better algoritm... or just make a better game... u will never be the only developer of ure game... it would be stupid to think so.

try to ask what jon carmak or linux torward think about so... i suppose they think as me.

that''s all
The only problem of libSDL :- Limited documents. Otherwise a great Library. Can use glut,Xlib etc with it.
Hello from my world
> Wrapper libraries are nice for beginners, but they''ll
> severly limit Linux to Windoz''s shallow world of features.

erm, shallow ? thats why Win has a nice uniform API for games called DirectX, and linux has to have a bodge-set library like SDL that collects a dozen incoherent mechanisms together ?

sounds like your just trolling on Win to me and youve never programmed under directx in your life

relying on a lib like libsdl for your low level code isnt efficient. you should add your own abstraction and recode those parts per platform
SDL comes with source code unlike DirectX. The source code provide great documentation if you have the guts to look in it. Also the API reference and provided examples that comes with SDL makes a good enough documentation. Not to mention is very easy to use and that most functions are self-documenting.

"This album was written, recorded and edited at Gröndal, Stockholm in the year of 2000. At this point in time money still ruled the world. Capitalistic thoughts were wide spread. From the sky filled with the fumes of a billionarie''s cigar to the deepest abyss drenched in nuclear waste. A rich kid was a happy kid, oh..dirty, filthy times. Let this be a reminder."
- Fireside, taken from back of the Elite album
DirectX has fantastic documentation... i find having to read the sourcecode to a library to ascertain how to use it irritating....
quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster

...i find having to read the sourcecode to a library to ascertain how to use it irritating....

That''s just an ignorant statement, especially if it''s coming from a programmer...

YAP-YFIO,
deadlinegrunt

~deadlinegrunt

it''s not ignorance at all if you require the information fast. an api doc is going to provide it much quicker in most cases than studying library source

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement