🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Music API

Started by
2 comments, last by XDigital 17 years, 7 months ago
Hi Coders, was wandering around the net searching for a music API. Because I have no knowledge and experience using music in graphic demos, I was hoping that one of you could speak about some pros and contras of fmod, OpenAS and others. Which is nice to use, has best performance, easy to implement - things like this. Would be great to read some comments. Best regards XDigital
Advertisement
Fmod is very easy to use, and works well. Unfortunately, it's not all that free. I've combined openal and ogg vorbis before, which takes a fair bit of work (assuming you want streaming music) but you only have to do that once. It also gives you alot of control. I havn't tried any others. So ease of use, fmod wins easy. As to performance, both ways are fast enough that I wouldn't worry.
___________________________________________________David OlsenIf I've helped you, please vote for PigeonGrape!
I would second the recommendation of FMod. It makes it very easy to get sound in your software.
Patrick
Just wanted to post my first impressions of fmod. Its really easy to use and I had no problems including sounds and streams. Thanks for advise.
XDigital

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement