🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

KDevelop

Started by
10 comments, last by MARS_999 23 years, 3 months ago
I was wondering how many people here have used codewarrior for Linux? If so how does it compare to Kdevelop? Does anyone know when Borland will release the VC++ for Linux IDE like Kylix? I really don''t want to mess with text based compilers. I have enough to learn, like how to program and write clean and fast code. Let alone how to use them. Windows SUCKS! Deal with it! if(windows crashes) { run linux } else { yea right!! }
Advertisement
Boo! I just use Nedit (a nice free text editor) and the standard g++ from Eterm

In all honesty, although it took a little getting used to, commandline compiling isn''t hard. In fact, I like it better than using an IDE now, actually.

Currently consolidating my power...

Commander M
(a.k.a. Crazy Yank, digitalp1aya, and countless other things)
http://commanderm.8m.com
CmndrM@gdnmail.net
quote: Original post by MARS_999
when Borland will release the VC++ for Linux IDE like Kylix?

I''m sorry for you but Borland DID NOT MAKE VC++ !!
It was Micro$oft..

I''ve heard that you can use Kylic for Delphi AND C/C++ ...
automake and autoconf are your friends. If you''re going to be programming under linux, I''d highly suggest learning and using those tools. Kinda off topic, but I thought I''d throw it out there as an alternative to IDEs.
Codewarrior ain''t free. You have to pay for it. It costs $$$.

Regarding text mode - Just use emacs or vi. You can compile in it just like you were using an IDE.

Anyway you still have to learn about make etc if you want to code in linux.
Hello from my world
It sounds like, from your first post, that you don''t yet know how to program. If that''s correct, then don''t worry about the IDEs and just write code. All you need to know to compile is "gcc input.c -o output" or "g++ input.cpp -o output" in the case of C++. Learn as you go and it won''t be overwhelming at all. Make, automake, autoconf, gdb, cvs: learn it all as you need it.

-ben.c
Never used CodeWarrior myself... Way too expensive, even for a crossplatform tool... I''d rather buy a Qt licence.

Borland should release BCB for linux (also called Kylix?) next year, if what they state on their website is true .
Just read the Makefile-HOWTO, or learn to use automake and autoconf, you don''t need no crummy IDE''s. Besides VIM looks damn good anyway.

============================
Trevor "Zephyre" Barnett
============================ Trevor "Zephyre" Barnett
jesus, if you lot worked in devloping commercial stuff youd know why ide''s with variable/struct/function tracking and a whole load of other features are a must.

makefiles are a pain in the arse to have to continually edit, and automake/autoconf are so damn confusing that you spend more time writing the neccesary scripts for them than working on your project!

why does everyone seem to shun things like kdevelop just because they look like visual c++ ? why dyou think commercial developers pay for it ? because its GOOD, thats why
Damn right! We are living in the 21st century after all, it would be a shame if we had to go back to the dark ages and do all our coding in an 80 column mode text editor. Yes, we all remember those days (wiping a tear of nostalgia from his eye), and it was great, but its time to grow up and use the graphical-user-interface provided for you at great expence.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement