🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

[4e5]Discuss: Emotion

Started by
102 comments, last by GameDev.net 17 years, 7 months ago
Quote: Your game must heavily feature, or make a clear effort to evoke in the player, a particular feeling or Emotion. For example, you could have your game try and evoke fear in the player, or set your game in a world fuelled by greed.
Please feel free to discuss the Emotion element here... A public service brought to you by someone with too much free time today
Advertisement
If you have (for example) an RPG where you must manage the emotions of your character, would this count?
I like that idea - and to me it's a lot more tangible than trying to arouse 'Fear' in the player.
I like the idea of trying to inspire 'boredom' in the player - I can make a really lacklustre game and get loads of points, right?
Well, apart from the fact that the game will also be jugded by how fun it is.. :)
Quote: Original post by d000hg
I like the idea of trying to inspire 'boredom' in the player - I can make a really lacklustre game and get loads of points, right?

Boredom isn't an emotion :-P
Quote: Original post by Gyrbo
If you have (for example) an RPG where you must manage the emotions of your character, would this count?

Yes - I'd better update the page to explain that the element is "a particular Emotion, or the concept of Emotion in general."

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

I got a pretty good idea for emotion, but I wanna try to keep it secret for now. Unfortunately, I have a feeling a lot of other people will have the same idea as me.
Quote: Original post by JohnnyCasil
I got a pretty good idea for emotion, but I wanna try to keep it secret for now. Unfortunately, I have a feeling a lot of other people will have the same idea as me.

Miht as well post it and claim first. :p
does this have to be one emotion or can it be several? I was thinking opposing factions each set round an emotion which governs how they can act.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement