Advertisement

Dualboot FS decision.

Started by December 13, 2005 03:31 PM
2 comments, last by Urxae 18 years, 9 months ago
I'm just starting to do some testing of my cross-platform code under linux on my dual boot system. I have a large project directory containing code, media, platform-specific build directories etc which currently resides on a FAT32 drive accessible by both OSes. I'd prefer to keep it all together. I currently use Ubuntu. However, the FAT32 driver seems to give me problems, as even in terminal mode the uppercase/lowercase handling seems obscure and causes issues where even in a terminal I am unable to easily create uppercase files, or even accurately discover the case of file characters. (even "ls" lies). I assume this is normal for FAT32 handling under Unix, but tell me if I'm wrong. I have previously, with a dual-boot system, tried using an ext2 shared drive using the "ext2fsd" windows driver, but this creates other issues. This is kind-of a minor problem, and easy to get around by simply copying modified files between filesystems before working/building, but I'm sure this will get tedious later on. I was wondering how most people manage their projects during cross-platform (windows/linux) dual-boot development (especially those that switch platforms regularly). Thanks for all replies. Si
For some reason, the FAT filesystems themselves aren't really case sensitive (you can't have two files called "a" and "A" in the same directory), and DOS/Windows have their own little ideas of dealing with this. "ls" usually won't lie to you, it will just show you what the allocation table says. In some cases, it might be that the FAT entries for the short and long name get confused, but I'm not too sure about this.

If you want to transfer code easily, you could dig out some old machine and use it as a Subversion or CVS server. That way, you get easy transfer and version control at the same time.
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by ShadowdancerIf you want to transfer code easily, you could dig out some old machine and use it as a Subversion or CVS server. That way, you get easy transfer and version control at the same time.

If you don't happen to have a machine to spare, it could be interesting to try putting a Subversion repository on the FAT partition and seeing if both OSes could use it. It might actually work if you use the database backend instead of the one based on the file system. (see next reply)

edit: lesson learned: RTFM :)

[Edited by - 255 on December 14, 2005 10:08:48 AM]
Quote: Original post by 255
If you don't happen to have a machine to spare, it could be interesting to try putting a Subversion repository on the FAT partition and seeing if both OSes could use it. It might actually work if you use the database backend instead of the one based on the file system.

It's the other way around. See this table in the subversion book. The row marked "Platform-independent storage" clearly marks FSFS as the platform-independant storage format.

Edit: Quote header messed up :(

[Edited by - Urxae on December 14, 2005 9:12:17 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement