Advertisement

Next competition?

Started by December 03, 2005 10:04 AM
62 comments, last by d000hg 18 years, 8 months ago
Quote: Original post by The Mastermind
WOW! That is amazing. I have used GM before, and it is not the best of tools, but it can get the job done and give you a great game as a result. Do you have to submit your code for the compos?

You didn't for 4E4. I imagine there will be other competitions in the future which will also be closed-source.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote: Original post by d000hg
Lots of people don't have shader-equppied PCs. Or non-dialup internet connections. All these would prevent some pretty interesting contests being run - the majority of us could get a multimon system for litle or no money.

While I have to say for me to get a multi-mon setup would be easier than getting a computer with a video card that supports shaders (yeah, I have four computers (2 macs, 2 PCs) and NONE of them are capable of hardware shaders thanks to bad luck and the fact I'm so far behind in the platform race that I might as well quit).

But, I don't really think it'd be any more fun/challenging to write a game for a single monitor than it would be to write one for two or more. It's just more resolution that you have at your hands, which, well, isn't anything new.

The idea I really liked so far in this thread were stock items (I believe a shopping cart was mentioned?? how wicked), and multi-player. Text-based would be acceptible, but I can see too many people already taking nethack and changing a few things.
Advertisement
Has a final theme been found yet? I can only find info on the Java contest.

I have some ideas, they're more general since I'm not a programmer but...

-Every game must have the same title, characters, and basic story.

-Each game must make sound an integral role to gameplay, like dynamic soundtracks, ultrasonic weapons, audio clues for puzzle solving.

-A parody of a top selling game. (Must be funny and clearly associated with the parody subject.)

-a combination of two different genres, like a shooter/puzzle, RPG/sports, action/text.

-a simulation of an MMORPG but entirely offline (complete with realistic AI of people "playing" the game...noobs asking questions, veterans, people breaking out of character, cheaters, everything)

oh, that's enough for now. I could go on forever.

Tony
Quote: Original post by superpig
WOW! That is amazing. I have used GM before, and it is not the best of tools, but it can get the job done and give you a great game as a result. Do you have to submit your code for the compos?

You didn't for 4E4. I imagine there will be other competitions in the future which will also be closed-source.

I know I did not use it for 4E4. It ended before I joined.
Quote: Original post by superpig

I know I did not use it for 4E4. It ended before I joined.

No, I mean you (as in the general "you") didn't have to submit source code.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote: Original post by anthemaudio
-a simulation of an MMORPG but entirely offline (complete with realistic AI of people "playing" the game...noobs asking questions, veterans, people breaking out of character, cheaters, everything)

I like that idea... you could use the final result as a joke for your programming buddies who haven't heard of the contest. "Hey guys, check out my 1337 MMORPG!" As long as they never found out, you would have really high status...

[Edited by - Oberon_Command on January 10, 2006 2:41:12 PM]
Advertisement
Hell, if you made an entirely simulated and realistic MMORPG (so much so that you wouldn't know the difference) offline that would be a feat far more impressive (and far less profitable) than an actual online MMORPG. The AI required for realistic human conversations, forming guilds with non-human players, and interacting with those players as if they were real would be impossible with today's knowledge.
_______________________"You're using a screwdriver to nail some glue to a ming vase. " -ToohrVyk
I think the MUD idea is great, most people will be able
to enter. It leaves enough open to create a more technical game
or more artistic( storyline etc...) game depending on where your intrests ly.
I don't think most of us are interested in MMOs, especially text-based ones. Of course I might be in the minority.
If you don't like the idea, suggest another one
eg "hey everybody how about a vertical 'side scroller' "

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement