Advertisement

random solar system names

Started by November 21, 2005 05:50 AM
27 comments, last by Luckless 13 years, 4 months ago
For my elite: frontier clone, I generate random names for solar systems, and currently I use a system with random prefixes and random syllabes. Some names that are generated are nice, others are somewhat weird. It generates 400000 * 400000 of those names because that's the amount of stars in the galaxy of this game. Here's a screenshot of some of the names it generates ("Sol" wasn't generated but pre-programmed) Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Do you think those names are al(l)right? Do you think people would care if this system would accidently generated an offensive name (I saw a star named "Dik" somewhere).
They look pretty cool for randomly generated names. Nicely done![grin]
Inparticular I like the name Noax.
[EDIT]
I feel you should be sure to make the race from galaxies like 'Splintula' and 'spameal' particularly violent [wink]
[/EDIT]
If you are worried, you could put in a safeguard against potentially offensive names by checking them against a pre-programmed list of black-listed names and possible corruptions. If its the same then regenerate.

However, i wouldn't worry too much [smile]
Advertisement
haha, there is a system named Gory
"Eta Burga"? (right centre) Pfffffft!

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

Unless you are expecting people to have to remember the names for whatever reason. For example; go here and buy that, take it there and do this etc. (I'm not familiar with Elite so I don't know if this is part of the game plan or not). You could of course overcome that by having some indicator/marker to hint where they need to go etc. Otherwise, they sound cool and very well done for random names. Nice job!

F451
Spameal <-- [lol]
Advertisement
"DA Spama" (lower left center)... [lol]

I wouldn't worry about a solar system accidentally being called "dik" or "bukkake" or whatever. Most people who'd play that kind of game probably wouldn't care about it.
Cool idea. Looks good.

Latin and Greek prefixes and suffixes might be useful for your concatenations (I see you're already using some). Also, maybe some Arabic since some stars have Arabic names.
Co-creator of Star Bandits -- a graphical Science Fiction multiplayer online game, in the style of "Trade Wars'.
Soon the entire copter system will be mine!

The names seem to be pretty good to me. They seem awfully close together, though.
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.
i find these really cool, so i'd leave them as they are ;)

Projects: Top Down City: http://mathpudding.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement