Advertisement

First program in linux (sigh)

Started by November 14, 2005 12:17 PM
4 comments, last by rollo 18 years, 10 months ago
I cant figure out why I dont get ouput. Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
It's all about the wheel.Never blindly trust technoligy.I love my internal organs.Real men don't shower.Quote: Original post by Toolmaker Quote: Original post by The C modest godHow is my improoved signature?It sucks, just like you.
In bash (and other Linux shells afaik), the current directory is not in the path. This means that you should address a program called 'test' in the currect directory like this:

sijmen$ ./test

Which means 'the file test in the current directory'.

What you are doing now is starting the 'test' utility included with Linux distributions.

/edit:

You shouldn't put your files in /mnt. Use your home directory, or a subdirectory of it.

/edit2:

You shouldn't work as root either. Use a normal user account.
Advertisement
It works now!
Thanks allot!
It's all about the wheel.Never blindly trust technoligy.I love my internal organs.Real men don't shower.Quote: Original post by Toolmaker Quote: Original post by The C modest godHow is my improoved signature?It sucks, just like you.
unfortunately naming things test isn't a great idea, there is a program /usr/bin/test that interferes with this, referencing test ./test works, but in general naming programs 'test' isn't recommended due to test.

for more info on the 'test' utility type 'man test'
I know it's already been written, but I'll just reiterate it,

DO NOT LOG IN AS ROOT FOR REGULAR WORK

Having said that. Good luck with your coding :)
Parallel RealitiesProject: Starfighter
If you ever run into anything like this again, remember the command "which". It will tell you what program you are trying to call.
$ which quake4/usr/games/bin/quake4

Just to stress what Scarfy already said with large bold letters: Never ever use the root account for anything other than system configuration and maintainance.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement