Advertisement

OSX and Libraries

Started by November 08, 2005 11:13 AM
0 comments, last by igni ferroque 18 years, 10 months ago
Ok, so I've gotten myself a copy of Xcode, and i'm totally unfamiliar with macs. (the only reason i'm dealing with them is for school. Are osx dynamic libraries extensionless? and what are the static libraries extensions? I'm totally at a loss for what to link with, i have a collection of NIB files. For our purposes i'll refer to sdl. i have a SDLmain.nib am i supposed to include that in my project? or what? I apologize i've been unable to find tutorials regarding sdl and osx (of course a general linking tutorial might be of use but i have no background and thus it would probably be hard anyways) any explanation on the file types would be nice thanks -Dan
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
Dynamic libraries have a .dylib extension, and static libraries have a .a extension. Additionally, MacOS uses different types of what are called bundles, which are basically folders containing different kinds of resources. Libraries for MacOS are distributed as Frameworks. They are bundles with a framework extension that contain executables, headers, and the shared/static library files.

When you download the SDL SDK, you should get a framework, which you place in /Library/Frameworks or ~/Library/Frameworks. You can then add it to the project in Xcode. When you are including header files, you include the name of the framework minus the extension in the path. For example, to include gl.h from OpenGL.framework, you would use #include &ltOpenGL/gl.h>

NIB files can be either bundles, binary serialized objects, or plaintext serialized objects.

[Edited by - igni ferroque on November 8, 2005 11:25:14 PM]
Free Mac Mini (I know, I'm a tool)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement