🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Well, it was inevitable

Started by
4 comments, last by khawk 18 years, 8 months ago
Unfortunately, I have to pull out of 4E. I started working on my game around the middle of August, trying to balance it with my job. It was sort of an off-and-on thing. I was hoping I'd devote a lot of time to do some serious coding and complete the art this week, but the situation turned out to be against me. *shakes fist at the power company*. Apparently, I won't be able to finish by October 31 Oh, and I coded an engine from scratch, too. Bad, very bad. It's meant to be a 2D side-scroller beat-em-up game. Think Streets of Rage, with weapons. Then replace the main characters with ninjas, and the bad guys with pirates. You get the idea ;) Anyway, I was able to get some things done: - The sprites - A crude menu system - Keyboard and joystick input What I'm yet to do: - Collision detection - Backgrounds and Props for the levels - Playability I've learnt a lot so far, and I intend to eventually complete the game, later on. Hopefully, procrastination doesn't get the better part of me :P
Advertisement
Even if 4E4 doesn't produce wonderful finished games, it is great that it is inspiring people to try. Your saying you have learned alot, which is great.

I am sure that this was another aim of 4E4.

ace
Quote: Original post by liquidAir
I've learnt a lot so far, and I intend to eventually complete the game, later on. Hopefully, procrastination doesn't get the better part of me :P

By all means do finish it! ; ) Even if you're not gonna be entering the competition, you've put a lot of work into this so you may as well see it come to fruition. At least now you won't have the pressure of time against you so you can take your time to get things right and make the game as you want it.

i am in a similar situation. i've done the game design, with character sketches and such, gather a small team and started working. then i've got a job (programming but not games :( ) at the beginning of August and didn't have time to work on the project. But now the first ideas transformed into a full scale game, and a more larger team, which we hope to finish in about a 1.5 years (i'm very optimistic :D). The game will only feature some of the elements, not all 4, and everything else has changed. But will still be a Ninja game. Good luck all of you with the contest!
Quote: Original post by liquidAir
It's meant to be a 2D side-scroller beat-em-up game. Think Streets of Rage, with weapons. Then replace the main characters with ninjas, and the bad guys with pirates. You get the idea ;)

Please finish that, I want to play it already. I've been starved of cool side-scrollers like SOR or Vendetta in the last few years.
Quote: Original post by ace_lovegrove
Even if 4E4 doesn't produce wonderful finished games, it is great that it is inspiring people to try. Your saying you have learned alot, which is great.

I am sure that this was another aim of 4E4.

ace

As with all of our contests, the education is the most important aim.

Admin for GameDev.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement