Advertisement

Fullscreen in Linux

Started by October 25, 2005 01:34 PM
4 comments, last by Prototype 18 years, 10 months ago
I am trying to port some of my code to Linux using SDL. Everything is working out fine, except it appears you can only create fullscreen windows when logged as root. Is this normal or is there something wrong with my setup? Any help is greatly appreciated.
i had no problems switching to fullscreen. changing the bitdepth wasn't possible, though.
This space for rent.
Advertisement
your X config file needs to specify all the resolutions you want to use (that includes when fullscreen in an app). If you try to change to a resolution that isn't there, it won't work. Maybe that's it.
I can switch to fullscreen mode with my Linux SDL app just fine. But there is a problem I have with getting one particular app on my machine to go full screen. In the console it says: "Can't open "/dev/mem", full screen mode not available: Permission denied". I don't know why, but even when I change the permissions of /dev/mem it still won't work. I HAVE to be root to run in full screen. Its very annoying.

Hero of Allacrost - A free, open-source 2D RPG in development.
Latest release June, 2015 - GameDev annoucement

Quote: Original post by gumpy macdrunken
i had no problems switching to fullscreen. changing the bitdepth wasn't possible, though.

Current X architecture doesnt allow to change bit depth.
I'm still having the same problems, although I have been occupied with other things lately. What I omitted to tell is that I was trying to start an SDL application from the command prompt, which only seem to work when logged in as root. Regular users will be presented a segmentation fault. Also, I don't have any hardware acceleration in X, which may be a driver issue of some sort. I'm running Slackware 10 on a laptop with an 8mb NeoMagic card. Any ideas?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement