Advertisement

OS X and GCC confusion!

Started by October 04, 2005 05:36 AM
4 comments, last by exoskeletal_ninja 18 years, 11 months ago
Sorry to be the ubiquitous Beginner, I recently moved to OS X (10.2.x) and I'm confused as to where to obtain GCC (and friends). I have registered for Apple Developers, but the only file I could find was packaged in a 650Mb DMG. Obviously Xcode and other tools must be included, but do any users out there know of a stand-alone package with just the essentials? Now if only I can find nano... Thanks. Solidus
-------------------------------------------"Oh no! It's a Parabola of Mystery!!" - RvB | Blog
When I purchased my PowerBook (back when 10.2 was new), there was a copy of the developer tools installer in /Library/Applications. It might have been tucked inside of a generically named folder. I think I also had to install the extra BSD tools; it was a package on one of the install CDs . That's another likely place to find the developer tools.

The developer tools package on Apple's site more than likely requires 10.3 or 10.4.
Free Mac Mini (I know, I'm a tool)
Advertisement
The 10.2 developer tools should be included on a CD labeled Developer Tools that comes standard when you buy OS X (IIRC it's on the same DVD as the system install in newer releases of the OS).

I'm not aware of any way to download just gcc without the other stuff - though if you dig around the GNU GCC page you might find something. You might want to condider buying 10.4 if it's an option (IIRC 10.2 ships with Project Builder rather than xcode, and some of Apple's APIs have changed slightly).

As for looking for nano, you won't find it, IIRC OS X ships with pico (which nano was based on - "free" OS's use nano because of some problems with the pico license). However, take a look at fink for package managment - you can get nano through it (or compile it from source I suppose).

EDIT: it appears you might be able to get gcc through fink as well
I think you can get Xcode v1.5 (and v2.1 though that might not work) from Apple's developer site. The installer package SHOULD BE on either a separate install CD or in a directory on your hard drive, though.
When I got my OSX cd I don't recall getting a developer package/cd… I just downloaded the package from their developer site.
BRING BACK THE BLACK (or at least something darker)
Thanks for all your help guys (and girls). I managed to download gcc via Fink. Weirdly enough, I tried installing the extra application dcd's but the installer insisted I didn't have an iBook when I do.

So thanks again. :)
-------------------------------------------"Oh no! It's a Parabola of Mystery!!" - RvB | Blog

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement