Advertisement

extend user permissions -- /usr/share read only?

Started by September 27, 2005 09:21 PM
1 comment, last by Galapaegos 18 years, 11 months ago
Okay, a few packages install themselves into the /root/usr/share directory... Which I would assume to be good. However a few programs like XMMS (adding a Skin to the Skin directory) can now only be done via the root. So em I to assume it normal for the /usr/share directory to be read only? Read-Only is okay to me I suppose, at least I can still install some other packages there I want all users to have access to but not modify. I also have a Fat32 Partition mounted as /share under /dev/sda8 which cannot be written to by anyone, not even the root. It can be read from though.
Unless you know what you're doing I wouldn't suggest changing the permissions of any directory not in /home

Here's an article explaining the basics of UNIX permissions and chmod.

Also don't forget that while everything is a file in linux, files and directories beheave a bit different with the execute permission.

You also probably want /usr/share/ to have the following permissions: rwxr-xr-x
Advertisement
Halsafar,

XMMS also has a '.xmms' directory in your home directory, which is where YOU will place your skins. Placing the skins in /usr/share is for all users to share skins, but in your directory only you have those skins (unless they are in your group, etc)

As for the drive, how did you mount it? And are you sure its not a NTFS drive?

-brad
-brad

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement