Advertisement

More Questions

Started by July 28, 2005 03:06 PM
17 comments, last by Srekel 19 years, 1 month ago
sorry, if this question was already asked, i haven't found it, so i'll just post it:

on the contest page it says the latest sun JRE is used (so presumabley 1.5) but what about java 3D? is that included? is it ok to use it?

a second question: this is hopefully going to be my first ever real game. so it will be rather simple (a board game) - does it still make sense to compete or should i not bother handing it in?

Quote: Original post by honey
on the contest page it says the latest sun JRE is used (so presumabley 1.5) but what about java 3D? is that included? is it ok to use it?
Yes, we'll ensure that our JREs have java3d in their classpaths. (Please note that this is one of an extremely small number of exceptions, if not the only one - we will not, in general, download and install external libraries to run your game. Your game will just be disqualified or scored as all zeros).

Quote: a second question: this is hopefully going to be my first ever real game. so it will be rather simple (a board game) - does it still make sense to compete or should i not bother handing it in?
Absolutely you should - there's nothing to lose, after all.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Advertisement
Ok another question Iam not much of a texture artist, nor could I probally find one, Is it ok if I use Free textures off the internet?

Edit-- Ok I got another question, I was just wondering exactly what kind of Graphic Cards are the judges going to use because Iam not quite sure what its capable of, never had one, never seen one, Ive got a GeForce 6800 GT OC, I wanted some heads up on what the card can hold because I might get carried away, since I could handle FarCry at maximum resolution I might program my game with To many things, not knowing its going to lag on the judges PC because it runs perfectly on mines, so if its possible is there some kind of game screenshots you can give me, or a link to a game that would be what the card is capable of handling? TY iam sure everyone else would appreciate this too.
- I mainly ask the last question because Iam thinking about putting the water effect used by many of the new highend games today to make my water look a whole much better since my game is like 80% Water.
Quote: Original post by TempHolder
Ok another question Iam not much of a texture artist, nor could I probally find one, Is it ok if I use Free textures off the internet?
If you have permission to use them in the context of this contest, then yes, absolutely - we encourage you to find resources that already exist instead of making everything from scratch yourself. By "context of this contest" I mean the rights laid out in the legal section at the end of the contest page - most notably that you have permission to give us permission to distribute the texture (as part of the game).

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Is Glut Supported?
Don't use glut man, it looks like crap. Use glOutlines or freetype.
*News tagenigma.com is my new domain.
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by tgraupmann
Don't use glut man, it looks like crap. Use glOutlines or freetype.

It seems that you don't know what GLUT actually is. It's a OpenGL wrapper for running OpenGL applications between several OS'es. I think you can use it as long as you provide the required dlls with your game.
If it runs out of the box without us needing to install any GLUT libraries or anything seperately, then yes, you can. If it's just a question of you providing a DLL along with your executable, then go right ahead.

Quote: Original post by TempHolder
Is Glut Supported?

Yup, GLUT doesn't need any additional installers or anything like that. However, GLFW is better than GLUT, so look at that instead.
------------------"Kaka e gott" - Me

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement