🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

[4E4] Ownership rights

Started by
7 comments, last by Fruny 18 years, 11 months ago
I was just wondering the following. The rules state that entrants have to grant:
Quote: GameDev.net permanent, non-exclusive, world-wide rights and a license, but not an obligation, free of any charge or compensation, to use, edit, copy, distribute and publish all or part of the entry, and all rights subsidiary to and derivative from the entry, in any medium now known or invented in the future, for promotional, advertising or demonstration purposes for GameDev.net's products or services or for GameDev.net generally.
Does this apply to source code and sources of art assets as well? For instance, I am using the proprietary Torque engine for my game, and the license agreement disallows disclosure of the source code to third parties. So I would only be able to hand over the source code to the game if gamedev.net has a license to the Torque engine. Does gamedev.net need the source code to entries? Will these kind of situations be a problem?
--------------------Life after death? Is it like terminate and stay resident?
Advertisement
Contest Rule number 3:

Quote:
3. Source code submission is not required, but it is encouraged for educational purposes.

So the answer is no, it is not required!

Hope that helps!

Steve
Cheers,SteveLiquidigital Online
Thanks, I know that. But I also read on one of the topics on the forum something about packaging source code in a "gamedev.net staff" directory that would be stripped from the final entry when gamedev.net would release it. So I just thought I'd ask to be sure :)
oh, okay, hmm... I hadn't read that. Personally though, in my eyes if it says in the rules submission of source code not required, then I'd assume it is not required in any way shape or form, just encouraged. If this is not the case, then I agree that it needs making more clear.

Cheers,

Steve
Cheers,SteveLiquidigital Online
I asked something similar a while back: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=325003
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
The source code to staff comment was from me. The idea is some people do want the judges to have additional material to show off how good their entry is - source code, save game states, design documentation or early demos - that they don't want distributed to the general public. We do not require or specially ask for any of this extra content, and I expect most submissions will be of the single package variaty.

As for Torque, you don't need to give us the source code, but you do need to have the legal right to give us distribution rights to work (binaries and whatever data files are required to run) created by you with the Torque engine. If you have a licence to freely distribute as many copies of your Torque based game as you want without restriction (i.e. no "non-commercial" clauses), then you almost certainly have the right to give us distribution right to your work.

As I'm not a certified lawyer though, I can't read through the Torque licence and give you a definitive answer (it seems there is an "Indie" and a "Commercial" licence - I'd check to make sure the Indie licence doesn't block extension of binary redistribution). You'll either have to read the licence yourself and take any blame if you are wrong, or pay a lawyer to read it for you (if he's wrong then you can sue him for damages)
Thank you all for your thoughts on this!

Michalson, thanks a lot, you put me to thinking! The Torque Indie license does not forbid binary distribution of the game. It does, however, forbid partnering up with companies with a revenue that exceeds $250,000.00 annually. Taking that into account, I am not sure if I can submit the game since I have no insight in the financial situation of gamedev.net or their partners / contest sponsors. I have e-mailed GarageGames about this hoping they will be able to give me a more definate answer.

Thanks again for your thoughts!
Quote: Original post by Michalson
show off how good their entry is - source code, save game states, design documentation or early demos

If we don't would we automatically get points off? Or if we do will we automatically get points on? Cause I have a feeling our game code will make us lose points if it's judged ;)
Quote: Original post by Tsixm
If we don't would we automatically get points off? Or if we do will we automatically get points on? Cause I have a feeling our game code will make us lose points if it's judged ;)

Funny how the same anguished questions pop up as soon as words like "extra credit" or "optional" are spoken. Stop worrying about your grade. Worry about your assignment game. [wink]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement