🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Speed and stability scoring?

Started by
2 comments, last by Xiachunyi 18 years, 12 months ago
Apparently these are factors in the scoring of entries. How is speed marked - must we provide a fps counter [smile], or is it a case of maximum marks if it NEVER stutters. Similarly for stability - if it NEVER crashes (in the few hours it is tested) is that good enough or will memory leak checks etc be performed?
Advertisement
You don't need to provide an FPS counter, we should be able to use things like FRAPS to handle that. The actual numerical framerate is unlikely to have much of an effect on the final score, though; it's more about smoothness and stuttering, as you say. Things like load times might also come into this.

It's a similar thing with stability. We might run the process viewer in the background to see whether you're allocating 4K every frame or a leak tracker or something, but whether or not the game crashes is the more important factor.

Look, just make it as high performance and robust as possible, mmmkay? [smile]

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Well for robustness I agree, but for speed as long as it's smooth I'll be concentrating on features! Luckily for an RTS 30fps is more than adequate; as long as it doesn't drop or fluctuate when scrolling you'll never notice!

I need to find some free leak trackers etc since I'm fairly sure it's not so robust - crashes a lot on my dev system (WinME) but not at all on my work PC (WinXP). I know WinME is lame but still it shouldn't crash! Can anyone suggest free tools?

Thanks by the way Mr Superpig.
Maybe the posts in this thread could help you for memory leaks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement