Advertisement

Cannot detect the mouse!

Started by May 11, 2005 01:43 PM
7 comments, last by Eken 19 years, 4 months ago
I have recently installed Debian on my system but i have a little problem. I try to start X but it comes up a message that says that the mouse cannot be detected. I don't know what to do. I have a PS/2 mouse if it is for some help.
You should probably start by looking in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, my mouse configuratoin looks like this:
Section "InputDevice"	Identifier	"mx500"	Driver		"mouse"	Option		"CorePointer"	Option		"Device"		"/dev/input/mice"	Option		"Protocol"		"ImPS/2"	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"false"	Option		"ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"EndSection

Now, /dev/input/mice is probably the easiest way to go (should catch all connected mice), but you can also try /dev/psaux. Your protocol should almost certainly be ImPS/2 but you can try PS/2 as well.

Oh, and make sure that the Identifier matches what is used in the ServerLayout section.
Advertisement
Thanks! I'll try.
----------------
I have tried it and it went like this:
Permission Denied. I tried to login as Root and the message came up again X/

[Edited by - Eken on May 11, 2005 11:58:07 PM]
Quote: Original post by Eken

Are you saying that you tried to edit the file as root and you got a "Permission Denied"? Or did you try to do something else (and if so, what)?

Quote: Original post by Aly
Quote: Original post by Eken

Are you saying that you tried to edit the file as root and you got a "Permission Denied"? Or did you try to do something else (and if so, what)?

First I wrote /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 like you said in the ordinary Debian login and it went up the "Permission Denied" message. Then i wrote in 'su' to login as root and wrote the same thing and the same message went up =/. I can't either access debian config x(
Oops, i forgot to login xP. But now you know i wrote the reply
Advertisement
Well most editors should offer an option to write to the file even if it is set read-only as long as you have permission to do so. If your installation got a bit messed up try running chmod 644 /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and that should set the permissions correctly.

If you're still having trouble with editing the file then post the output of ls -l /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. I'm really not sure why you're having trouble doing things as root but maybe someone else has some idea.
And you probably need to change the mouse device to "psaux" if you're using a ps2 mouse.
Quote: Original post by smr
And you probably need to change the mouse device to "psaux" if you're using a ps2 mouse.

I have reinstalled Debian a several times and the problem shows up every time even if i choose psaux etc etc...

Quote: Original post by Aly
Well most editors should offer an option to write to the file even if it is set read-only as long as you have permission to do so. If your installation got a bit messed up try running chmod 644 /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and that should set the permissions correctly.

If you're still having trouble with editing the file then post the output of ls -l /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. I'm really not sure why you're having trouble doing things as root but maybe someone else has some idea.

I have tested it now and it doesn't work. But I have tested to install Debian on my other Computer and there it worked =) But, I want it to work on that computer that I am on always... propably lies the problem in the motherboard. Is the motherboard broken or should the problem lies in the Drivers or BIOS?

[Edited by - Eken on May 14, 2005 2:23:11 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement