Advertisement

Kdevelop wtf

Started by May 01, 2005 09:23 AM
6 comments, last by smr 19 years, 4 months ago
Im having some trouble with IDEs in Linux right now. Im familiar with gcc, make, but NOT automake. Kdevelop seems to always want ot use automake. I dont understand what its doing. Even if I make simple hello world program with kdevelop (using one of the provided templates), it fails to compile:

/usr/share/aclocal/wxwin.m4:36: warning: underquoted definition of AM_OPTIONS_WXCONFIG
/usr/share/aclocal/wxwin.m4:59: warning: underquoted definition of AM_PATH_WXCONFIG
/usr/share/aclocal/smpeg.m4:13: warning: underquoted definition of AM_PATH_SMPEG
/usr/share/aclocal/pkg.m4:5: warning: underquoted definition of PKG_CHECK_MODULES
/usr/share/aclocal/libgcrypt.m4:23: warning: underquoted definition of AM_PATH_LIBGCRYPT
/usr/share/aclocal/gtk.m4:7: warning: underquoted definition of AM_PATH_GTK
/usr/share/aclocal/glib.m4:8: warning: underquoted definition of AM_PATH_GLIB
/usr/share/aclocal/audiofile.m4:12: warning: underquoted definition of AM_PATH_AUDIOFILE
*** Exited with status: 1 ***

Why is it checking for all that crap, when the only line of code is the printf() statement? Can't I just tell Kdevelop, here is my makefile, here is the source code, now go build? Help!
Try reinstalling autotools (autoconf, automake) and libtool.

If you want a cleaner makefile system when creating a project check "show all templates" (or something like that) and choose a QMake template. It's much much cleaner.
Advertisement
It's because KDE uses a pre-precompiler and tons of macros. All that garbage is thrown in to get Qt's signal and friends to work, among other things. I was interested in Qt programming until I found out about all the crazy hacks they need to do to get it to work. No thankyou.
Quote: Original post by smr
It's because KDE uses a pre-precompiler and tons of macros. All that garbage is thrown in to get Qt's signal and friends to work, among other things. I was interested in Qt programming until I found out about all the crazy hacks they need to do to get it to work. No thankyou.

Have you tried creating a qmake based project, instead of an autotools project ?
Automake and co are not needed to create something with Qt, Qt even provides it's own very simple makefile generator (qmake), which kdevelop provides a nice gui frontend for. And it's signals and slots not signals and friends.
"THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS REPORT IS CLASSIFIED; DO NOT GO TO FOX NEWS TO READ OR OBTAIN A COPY." , the pentagon
Quote: Original post by WilyCoder
Im having some trouble with IDEs in Linux right now.

Im familiar with gcc, make, but NOT automake.

Kdevelop seems to always want ot use automake. I dont understand what its doing. Even if I make simple hello world program with kdevelop (using one of the provided templates), it fails to compile:

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

In the thingy where the compiler output comes, right click and select full compiler output, then report back to us. Those warnings can be ignored.

Quote:

Why is it checking for all that crap, when the only line of code is the printf() statement? Can't I just tell Kdevelop, here is my makefile, here is the source code, now go build?

Help!

Most project templates use automake & co, which does a whole lot of useless checking, this is not KDevelops fault. You can also create qmake based projects which are easier (but less powerfull). And you can even use your own makefiles (Project -> Import existing project).

"THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS REPORT IS CLASSIFIED; DO NOT GO TO FOX NEWS TO READ OR OBTAIN A COPY." , the pentagon
George, you have saved my life!

I imported my makefile and it compiles :-)
Advertisement
I gave up with linux IDEs a long time ago and I now use kate and a terminal!
Quote: Original post by George2
And it's signals and slots not signals and friends.

=) I know. What I meant by signals and friends were "signals, and all the stuff that comes with it"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement