Advertisement

what next? debian?

Started by April 30, 2005 11:30 PM
31 comments, last by Raduprv 19 years, 4 months ago
Quote: Original post by Sneftel
I'm extremely happy with Debian Sarge; I've never encountered bugs that weren't in stable as well, and the selection of packages is amazing. I'd go with either Debian or Ubuntu for any new installations.

I put Sarge onto my server, and my god the installer is so much better than what's with Woody ( or was with woody - I haven't tried installing it for a while ).
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
Quote: Original post by python_regious
Quote: Original post by Sneftel
I'm extremely happy with Debian Sarge; I've never encountered bugs that weren't in stable as well, and the selection of packages is amazing. I'd go with either Debian or Ubuntu for any new installations.

I put Sarge onto my server, and my god the installer is so much better than what's with Woody ( or was with woody - I haven't tried installing it for a while ).

Yeah, the new installer works so much better. I remember the first time I messed with Debian, it was just too much a pain in the ass to get the thing installed. Keep in mind that this was around the time I used Slackware (my first distro), so the fact that I found it annoying actually means something (not that Slackware's installation is hard, but it's not as click-and-installish as many other distros).
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Strife
I would like to defend Ubuntu. It's not the "Fisher Price" of Debian-based distros. Yes, it's easier to get up and running than any other Debian, but it's still good old Debian. Just because something is designed for ease of use does not make it automatically inferior.

Because it's based on Debian, that means that anything you can do with Debian, you can do with Ubuntu. Plus it has the advantage of ACTUALLY using XOrg.

That said, I too am a Linux snob. I'm actually running pure Debian. But I also ordered a laptop that should be coming in tomorrow, and I'm going to put Ubuntu on it because my laptop is supposed to be for productivity, not having to mess around with editing text files all the time to get things working.

Really, it all depends on what you want your machine to do.

Replace the word "Ubuntu" with "Mepis", and your entire post is still correct :)
Only that Mepis comes with KDE, while Ubuntu comes with Gnome. I like KDE better than Gnome, but this is a prefference thing.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement