Advertisement

whats wrong with this /etc/fstab line?

Started by April 30, 2005 04:00 PM
6 comments, last by Genjix 19 years, 4 months ago

//mother/My Shared Folder       /mnt/shared     smbfs   rw,defaults     0
0 0 is separated by a space.
i'm not sure how to mount that properly, but i think you need to change "My Shared Folder" to "My\ Shared\ Folder"
This space for rent.
Advertisement
(sorry in advance about my lack of knowledge about fstab but this could be of use)

You could always run the mount tool with sudo privileges on the actual accounts that need access to that directory.

i.e.
/home/joe/~bash.rc

or one of the
/etc/init.d/*

scripts could be modified.. Or you could add an entry to your cron daemon to point to a new script that would mount that partition at boot time just after the other local filesystems are mounted. This gives you the advantage of bypassing fstab altogether and getting things to mount or fail (and return visible evidence at bootup (i.e. on Fedora Core 3 it will say [FAILED] in red at bootup if that particular script fails).

The script could be as complex as you want it to be and for security you could have the partition mounted in one central location (for toplevel access) and then again as a readonly (if you want limited access) someplace else.

Also with the scripting in mind you could have it alert the user via interal mail or email depending on how much you want the system to remember in terms of passwords etc...

//Also check these out these shell commands
man fstab
man mail
man crond

g/l
Putting the path in quotes? Just a guess.
Try escaping the spaces for My Shared Folder like this:
My\ Shared\ Folder

and why are you using 2 slashes in the front of mother ?
IMO one is enough

hope that helps
Matt
Matt
all the above has been tried, ill probably have to go with what Undergamer has said.
Advertisement
This is what I'm using for my smbfs mount at the moment:

//x.x.x.x/public /mnt/pub smbfs username=smbuser,bind,guest,rw,dmask=0777,fmask=0777 0 0

And the My Shared Folder needs the \'s to work properly in your line. (ie: My\ Shared\ Folder)
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----Version: 3.12GCS/M/S d->+(++) s+: a19? C++++ UL++ P+++ L+ !E W+++ N+ o++ K? w!O M-- V? !PS PE Y+ PGP t++ 5+++ X R tv+> b+(++)>+++ DI+++>+++++ D++G e>++++ h! r y?------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
ok because of the spaces I'm trying a different folder instead
//mother/Incomplete   /mnt/shared   smbfsusername=guest,auto,user,bind,guest,rw,dmask=0777,fmask=07770 0

mounts perfectly as root... but
genjix@linux:~> mount /mnt/shared/mount: only root can mount //mother/Incomplete on /mnt/shared

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement