Advertisement

Linux Kernel Source Code

Started by April 24, 2005 12:29 PM
10 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 4 months ago
Anyone know where i can get it with a visual c++ project file included. I have downloaded many versions of the Kernel all without a vc++ project / workspace file, and I simply cant be bothered to make one. Thanks
You won't find one with a Visual C++ project file. It won't even compile with Visual C++. It was written with the GCC compiler and toolset in mind, and uses several items only available in that toolset.

Sorry.
Michael Russell / QA Manager, Ritual EntertainmentI used to play SimCity on a 1:1 scale.
Advertisement
It is extremely unlikely that you'll get the kernel to build on Windows, never mind on the MS compiler.

You are going to need a Linux box - emulated,real or remote - in order to compile Linux.

Mark
Compiling the Linux kernel under Windows make's no sense - especially when you consider that the output of compiler's like VC++ - or even the Windows port of GCC are Win32 PE format and won't run under Linux anyway, even if you did manage to create a project file for the kernel.
Obviously if you were (hypothetically) going to compile Linux under Windows, you'd need a cross compiler.

Theoretically, their should be less problems than compiling a user-space Linux program under Windows, because unlike userspace apps, a kernel has NO library dependencies (not one - it's a statically linked binary that uses no external libraries).

But that isn't the issue. The main issue would be tools and scripts. Pretty much every part of the Linux kernel build system relies on the fact that you're running on Linux. It uses Makefiles which use a lot of programs like sed, awk, platform-specific linker bits etc. It even interrogates the running kernel for defaults for some features.

But in actual fact, libraries would be a problem also, because some of the utility programs that the kernel build process uses internally to configure and build the kernel itself, are userspace programs that are built from source during a normal kernel build. For example, the configurator most people use (make menuconfig) relies on ncurses for its menu-driven user interface.

In short, it would be more effort than it's worth.

Linux was obviously ORIGINALLY developed under another OS - Minix, I believe - but I think it's highly unlikely that that works any more.

Mark
Quote: Original post by markr
Linux was obviously ORIGINALLY developed under another OS - Minix, I believe - but I think it's highly unlikely that that works any more.

Minix was also a UNIX OS so it was similiar to Linux.
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
Advertisement
He never said he wanted to build it. Maybe he just wants to browse through it in Visual Studio?
Quote: Original post by mwlinnem
He never said he wanted to build it. Maybe he just wants to browse through it in Visual Studio?

In that case you can simply open up all the files in the IDE [wink]
If you build a project out of them, it'll put together all the intellisence stuff though.

You can use cygwin if you want to actually compile the kernel, though getting everything set up will be a pain.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
OH DEAR.

i have topologiLinux With Kde and Gnome, is there anything for that?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement