Advertisement

Oh fudge (Debian woes)

Started by April 11, 2005 02:25 PM
3 comments, last by clutch 19 years, 5 months ago
I noticed Anjuta wouldn't startup because of something wrong with libgtk-x11 something or other, so I decided to try to fix it with an apt-get upgrade. It's been a while since the last time I did that, so it downloaded about 300 MB of packages. It started installing, but then when it got to gstreamer it froze. I killed it and it continued until it got to "updating firefox registry" or something like that when installing firefox. I killed it and it continued. When it got to the end it reported that several packages (most of them depending on gsteamer) couldn't be installed. I tried closing firefox and trying again, but it didn't work. When I tried to reopen firefox I got all sorts of fun error messages (stuff like g_assert() not found). I rebooted to see if that'd help, but now Gnome won't even start. Anyone have any ideas how to get this straightened out besides completely reinstalling Debian?
I like the DARK layout!
Try reinstalling gstreamer?
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Advertisement
A simple
apt-get -f install

will fix an amazing lot of things that can FDGB during install. Try it from a pure text console so that no parts of X or Gnome are running.

If that doesn't produce good results, try what Fruny suggested:
apt-get --reinstall install mozilla-firefox whatever-package-gstreamer-failed-on

gstreamer seems to follow the Gnome policy of having as many separate libraries and bits of packages as humanly and technologically possible, so that might take a while to find. Removing the libgstreamer0.8 package and then reinstalling whatever gets removed in the process might be a good method.

(edit) Yeah, I know that GStreamer doesn't have squat to do with Gnome, but looking at the sheer mass of packages, it damn near looks like it [grin]

[Edited by - Shadowdancer on April 11, 2005 3:53:26 PM]
Tried all that, but it didn't work. I get a bunch of errors that all seem to say "undefined symbol: g_assert_warning"

Edit: wtf?! I kept googling until I found someone with similar troubles who had a bunch of glib stuff installed in /usr/local/lib, which isn't where Debian keeps that junk. I did rm libg* and magically everything worked. I don't know how it got there, but it's gone now, and now everything seems to be working.

Wait, why am I in KDE?

Edit again: Oh, back in gnome, but something's not right. The fonts are all different (they looke like what they looked like in KDE! ARG!) and there's no icons for anything. Whenever I run something I get lots of errors about not recognizing png files. I installed libpng2 but that didn't help.

Edit #3: ok, I reinstalled libgtk2.0-bin and it did something to the gdk pixbuf paths (or something like that). Firefox is still using KDE fonts, though, even after I reinstalled it.

[Edited by - BradDaBug on April 11, 2005 5:39:34 PM]
I like the DARK layout!
dpkg -a --configure

That should configure any packages that didn't finish installing.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement