Advertisement

newbie network question

Started by April 08, 2005 09:30 AM
7 comments, last by Shannon Barber 19 years, 5 months ago
I'm setting up a webserver (SuSE), and I'm reading Network Administratin, O'Rielly. Basically I'm looking to do a few things, serve web stuff, ftp, and ssh. But right now I'm a little confused on how the certain stuff works, like the host file, and stty, etc. I haven't gone so far as to get DSL yet, but I'm thinking I might be stuck with Cable (is this a problem?) Can I still get static IP? Also, if I have to set the IP of the ISP, for name resolution or whatever (I'm fishing here) this is information I should generally be able to get after getting static IP service right? I'm totally a network newbie. If someone has some ideas or quick tutorial stuff, or whatever I would appreciate that (links I mean.) Everything is pretty general on how setting IP stuff works, or maybe I'm making it more difficult than it is. Thanks, L-
"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't." -Pete Seegerwww.lucid-edge.net
For serving www you'll need apache (version 2 is the latest). For ftp i recommend wu-ftp and the ssh server will be installed by default i guess (if not it's called sshd).

Why do you need a static IP ?
Advertisement
Don't you need a static IP to run a web server?
"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't." -Pete Seegerwww.lucid-edge.net
Quote: Original post by Lucidquiet
Don't you need a static IP to run a web server?

No, the IP address is used to locate your machine on the internet. A domain will locate the IP address.
But if my domain name is dynamic, and changing everytime I dial up via DSL, wount that cause the IP number to change, and hence not work for a domain name?

L-
I think I am confused about this.
Quote: Original post by Ilici
For ftp i recommend wu-ftp...).

Uh, if you want to turn your server into a giant security hole, I recommend wu-ftpd too.
Advertisement
Yes.. you do need an a static ip, otherwise, you will not be able to have domains mounted on your server. But you can still have friends etc, visit your webserver, just by the ip, something like http://62.193.210.51/ (this is not a local machine but..) . And everytime you log in.. you will have to inform the of your new ip, except .. if you stay logged in for ever :P
---------------------------------Team Sourcerers lead developer [http://sourcerers.org]http://www.linux-reactor.com/ where linux elements react.
There is no need to have a static IP, check out this.
You can use a service such as www.dyndns.com to work around the lack of a static IP address. For a professional implementation you would use an ISP with an SLA (Service Level Agreement) and they would provide you with a pool of static IP address for you to use. Some DSL providers will provide this but not all do - the newer (and cheaper) DSL services tend to use something called PPPoE and you have a dynamic IP address with this setup.

And be careful, my ISP (Wide Open West) advertises a static IP address for an additional fee, but it's not a true static IP address, it's just a dhcp reservation.

It's also against most consumer TOA to run servers & services, but most look the other way so-long-as you're not generating significant traffic.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement