Advertisement

I can't get a high resolution (Debian)

Started by March 31, 2005 01:23 PM
6 comments, last by Null and Void 19 years, 5 months ago
On my Windows XP partion I can have a resolution of 1280x1024 but on my Debian partion I can't get anything above 800x600. I have been using this crappy 800x600 resolution for a few months and I really wan't to have a higher resolution. I have a Nvidia 5200 and I was wondering, could it be my card drivers? (I can get 1280x1024 on Windows without any drivers installed so I don't think that that is the problem, but just in case.)
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
which drivers are you using(are you using nv or nvidia or svga?)
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by eedok
which drivers are you using(are you using nv or nvidia or svga?)

nv

I can't login, I am at a school computer.
*Bump* This is really important to me, programming with an 800x600 resolution is extremely hard.
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
What do you mean by you can't "get" a greater resolution? I assume you changed the default value in XF86Config-4? Do you have the most up to date drivers? nvidia is what you want, nv is old (only supports up to like GF3, I believe). You can get them from nvidia's site.

Good luck!
Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.
Quote: Original post by CyberSlag5k
What do you mean by you can't "get" a greater resolution? I assume you changed the default value in XF86Config-4? Do you have the most up to date drivers? nvidia is what you want, nv is old (only supports up to like GF3, I believe). You can get them from nvidia's site.

Good luck!

Seconded. You really want the binary nvidia driver (download from nvidia.com, unless debian has a package or something I don't know about).

I assume you have an LCD (from the disp. resolution?) so in that case you have to muck around with the config file a bit (esp. if you are on DVI and not analog signal). I managed to get my geforce fx on my 17" lcd working perfectly except for the powersave/sleep mode (which it never enters, I have to turn off the monitor when not using it)
Advertisement
You may need to add the lines describing the resolution to X in the X86Config file (assuming you're using XFree86, that is, otherwise you'd put it in the Xorg file).

Your distribution likely did a crappy job of detecting your monitor and defaulted to 800x600 because it's a very well-supported mode. If you can't figure out how to add the lines to the configuration file, you're going to need to run the config script. I forget the name of it, but it'll likely come up in the autocomplete if you autocomplete for x or xf or something.

If you go into the configuration file and see that there is a line describing that monitor mode, it may already be configured and working- Press ctrl + alt + plus(+) to increase resolution and ctrl + alt + minus(-) to decrease resolution.

I'm pretty sure this is correct, but I haven't done a lot of hardcore Linux stuff in a while. I'm actually just getting back into it. [smile]
Quote: Original post by etothex
Seconded. You really want the binary nvidia driver (download from nvidia.com, unless debian has a package or something I don't know about).

In Debian's non-free it's "nvidia-kernel-source" unless one of the "nvidia-kernel-something" packages is the one you need.
Quote: Original post by Mercury
Your distribution...

X server package.
Quote: Original post by Mercury
If you can't figure out how to add the lines to the configuration file, you're going to need to run the config script. I forget the name of it, but it'll likely come up in the autocomplete if you autocomplete for x or xf or something.

In Debian: dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 (or "xserver-xorg" in certain Debian derivations).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement