Advertisement

Readhat 7.2

Started by March 19, 2005 09:10 PM
6 comments, last by PurpleAmethyst 19 years, 5 months ago
I just installed rh 7.2 and it went ok. But I'm only get a command prompt, the question is how do I start GNOME or whatever the graphical GUI is called from the command windows? [Edited by - Brocketino on March 19, 2005 9:33:09 PM]
at the command prompt type "startx". Why are you using such an old distro?
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by flukus
Why are you using such an old distro?

Thanx alot, didn't think any1 was gonna help:)
I'm just getting the latest v. just wanted to try it out meanwhile.
If you want it to always boot to the windowed run-level, you can change the startup run-level from 3, multiuser console, to 4, multiuser X. You change these settings in /etc/inittab I believe.
thanx Mercury. Perhaps u know some good tutorials for a linux newbie?
[google]

There should also be a few forums. I'll see what i can find...
Please click on the google to begin.

From,
Nice coder
Click here to patch the mozilla IDN exploit, or click Here then type in Network.enableidn and set its value to false. Restart the browser for the patches to work.
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Mercury
If you want it to always boot to the windowed run-level, you can change the startup run-level from 3, multiuser console, to 4, multiuser X. You change these settings in /etc/inittab I believe.

I think RedHat uses runlevel 5 for X, but the correct runlevel should be explained in the comments of /etc/inittab
"THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS REPORT IS CLASSIFIED; DO NOT GO TO FOX NEWS TO READ OR OBTAIN A COPY." , the pentagon
I have no idea why no one else pointed you here yet:

LinuxQuestions.org
LinuxQuestions.oeg Wiki

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement