Advertisement

Is g++ the way to go?

Started by March 01, 2005 10:53 AM
2 comments, last by CyberSlag5k 19 years, 7 months ago
I'm transitioning from using windows full time to linux, and I'm looking into my development environment. I've seen (and read) the sticky at the top of the forum on the various IDE's, my question is do they all use g++? Is g++ used pretty much exclusively in linux? Is there a reason to use anything else? I'm pleased with it thus far, just using nano and vi (I may pick up an IDE later), but I'd like to know if there's a reason not to commit to it just yet?
Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.
Just to clarify a bit: g++ is a front-end to the GNU compiler and part of the whole GNU compiler toolchain which supports many languages and is available for almost any platform and able to target just about every common (and uncommon) architecture.
g++ therefore is available on any platform that has GNU toolchain prorted to it (MS Windows, all flavours of *nix on nearly every hardware, embedded systems, consoles [Playsation, Gamecube, Gameboy Advance, ...]).
It can be used with any IDE/editor that has external tool support (e.g. make-files).
Advertisement
There are other compilers available for linux; the Intel compiler and the Comeau compiler spring immediately to mind. But GCC is far and away the most commonly used, both because it is free and because it is GNU. Go ahead and commit to it unless you have a good reason not to.
Thanks guys, that's all I needed to know :)
Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement