Advertisement

Software installation woes, missing header file

Started by February 27, 2005 04:41 PM
3 comments, last by CGameProgrammer 19 years, 7 months ago
I'm trying to install OpenVPN, which requires OpenSSL. I installed that as well, and "config/make/make install"ed OpenSSL without a problem. However, OpenVPN's configure script still says it can't find it:

configure: checking for OpenSSL Crypto Library and Header files...
checking openssl/evp.h usability... no
checking openssl/evp.h presence... no
checking for openssl/evp.h... no
configure: error: OpenSSL Crypto headers not found.
So I did a "find /usr -name evp.h" and got:

/usr/local/ssl/include/openssl/evp.h
/usr/openssl-0.9.7e/crypto/evp/evp.h
/usr/openssl-0.9.7e/include/openssl/evp.h
The first path is probably the one it should be finding, but it isn't. What do I do? Do I have to set some parameter somewhere to indicate that /usr/local/ssl/include is an include path that gcc should look for?
~CGameProgrammer( ); Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
The easiest solution (although not exactly pretty) would be to symlink /usr/local/ssl/include/openssl/ to /usr/include/openssl/.

I'm not sure if configure supports passing extra directories to the include path but ./configure --help should give you a good idea. Also, sometimes for obscure libraries (which OpenSSL should NOT be) the configure script will have extra options just for those.
Advertisement
I thought of that, didn't seem to work though. I finally figured out the solution after alot of time-consuming research -- I needed to supply both --with-ssl-includes=[PATH] AND --with-ssl-lib=[PATH].
~CGameProgrammer( ); Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
Quote: Original post by CGameProgrammer
I thought of that, didn't seem to work though. I finally figured out the solution after alot of time-consuming research -- I needed to supply both --with-ssl-includes=[PATH] AND --with-ssl-lib=[PATH].

Always do a ./configure --help to see what options are available for the software, might even save you some time :)
Quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster
Quote: Original post by CGameProgrammer

Always do a ./configure --help to see what options are available for the software, might even save you some time :)

That's what I ended up doing, which is how I discovered those two parameters. But I wasn't sure if it was merely a path thing or if someone OpenSSL wasn't installed "correctly".

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement