Advertisement

To Python or Perl?

Started by January 30, 2005 11:16 AM
8 comments, last by grazer 19 years, 7 months ago
Hello Should I Python or Perl? or should I stick with Java and Bash script? As 1) Business/web aplication programmer 2) System administrator 3) Network programmer
There is no right answer, but I would say use the tools that works best for you in the current situation your in. It all depends on exactly what you are trying to accomplish, and your comfort level using the languages.

For myself, the following is true:

For automatic things like startup scripts, BASH is the way to go.

For system administration scripts I prefer Perl. I find that Perls libraries more closely match the under lying Unix commands and conceptually its easier.

I use Python for coding apps, and PHP for web.

I would think that Java would be tougher to use for system administration programs, but I don't have much experience outside of school with Java so I cannot be certain.

Advertisement
ESR says use python

but then again everyone knows that VB is the bestest way to go :P. But seriously that article speaks loudly on the differences between py and pl.
In a linux environment (probably including the BSDs), python shines. For other unices, perl might be better.
They are not mutually exclusive. Learn them both. Python has a clean object syntax, and Perl has the CPAN.
I really like Python but I haven't used Perl. I must say that python is ridiculously easy and fast language to use. I am constantly amazed by it's power and it's vast module library. But as they say, use the right tool for the right job..

Personally, I would use python as a system admin and a network programmer. Not sure about web application programmer since I've always used PHP on web side of things (although some python fans say that python is better in that area than PHP).

(I hope you can decipher this message.. I am a bit too tired.)
Ad: Ancamnia
Advertisement
This is a religious war, and as a member of the church of py, i have to say perl users are sinners and need to repent now.

Seriously, though, it's all about preference.
This sort of question is fairly common and rarely does anything but start a flame war. If you want more than opinion the only answer is research and experience.

The GameDev forums, in my experience, are a bad place to research language decisions.
I'm sorry but I find that link really funny, looking at the perl pages:
# Is Perl Difficult? - Author Paul Presocd says Perl is hard to learn, and suggests Python as a useful alternative.
# Why We Hate Perl - Multiple opinions, most of which are negative, of the language.

then the python pages:
# Python: Yes, You Should Be Using It! - Alex Martelli gives an overview of the possibilities offered by Python, along with samples allowing the newcomer to experience Python code. (April 1, 2002)
# Why Python? - Patrick O'Brien's Python advocacy page.
END OF DEBATE

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement