🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Summary of GNU/Linux IDEs

Started by
39 comments, last by Quasimojo 12 years, 10 months ago
Sorry, noob question,

KDevelop doesn't seem to have a "Blank Project" option. I want to create ordinary blank console apps that run in Terminal, but KDevelop doesn't seem to support this? Or am I being retarded? At the current time I'm using eMacs and gcc to do this sort of thing, but I miss having Dev-C++ like I do on Windows.
Advertisement
Another one is SourceNavigator by redhat. It is free as well. There is syntax highlighting, but no code completion. However, you can use whatever text editor you want with it (pretty much).

The advantages to the program are that as a simple project, it only generates one project file, not millions like some other programs. I usually would just compile the program from the command line (not having experience with developing large programs for linux).

If your looking for something to list all your classes, variables, functions, hierarchy, dependencies, files, then sourcenav might just be for you.

And unlike some other linux IDEs, it is actually semi stable and feels solid.

Quote: Original post by ukdeveloper
KDevelop doesn't seem to have a "Blank Project" option. I want to create ordinary blank console apps that run in Terminal, but KDevelop doesn't seem to support this?

Well, last time I used KDevelop there was a "console application" or a C/C++ application template. I just can't remember what it was called.
Ad: Ancamnia
Quote: Original post by tentoid
KDevelop doesn't seem to have a "Blank Project" option. I want to create ordinary blank console apps that run in Terminal, but KDevelop doesn't seem to support this?

Well, last time I used KDevelop there was a "console application" or a C/C++ application template. I just can't remember what it was called.

True, but it generates automake/autoconf files, which I don't need or want for my occasional 1-file cpp projects.. that's why I switched to vim, even as official IDE lover :)

KDevelop seems to leave that functionality to Kate (which is the default editor for Kdevelop anyway). Kate handles the development of simple console apps very well, allowing you to setup external tools via macros for debugging and compiling, its own console window, and a few other minor features. I must agree though, it's odd that Kdevelop won't allow you to perform a simple compile without having to first create a whole project.
Just like MSVC, unfortunately.

Just to weigh in with my 2 cents, I'm currently using Kate to edit and Konsole/make to build, because KDevelop always crashes on me (it won't even start up without crashing now). However I am using a reasonably old version and am unable to easily upgrade; newer versions may be fine.
Quote: Original post by Kylotan
KDevelop always crashes on me (it won't even start up without crashing now).

KDevelop is rather unforgiving with dependencies. Update any of the KDE libraries without updating KDevelop and it's almost sure to crash.
KDevelop is pretty nice, it does all the autoconf and automake dirty work for you and you don't even need to see it. Just make sure you get the latest version: "apt-get install kdevelop3"
Hey everyone...
I was just about to start a similar thread, but then saw this one right at the top of the page :)

*** WARNING - I go a little off topic, and give more then 2 cents :) ***

I, like many people here, came from a windows background. In Windows I used MSVC 6, and then moved to the .NET version. I loved it.... everything worked fine and I really liked to use IDE's.

Then I became interested in linux..... and slowly started using linux. Of course, I had to install and try to use KDevelop. But for me it just wasn't the same.... It seemed to be lacking something... I don't know... programming in linux was really different to me and I always went back to windows.

Well, after a while I tried to use Anjuta.... and I think I liked that better then kdevelop... but really.... I guess to me it really doesn't matter. They both still did something I wasn't too fond of...... they seemed to make things more complicated..... Like others here mentioned, If you're working on small projects, you really don't need or want 20 extra files for automake/autoconf :)

So, again, back to windows... lol It was familiar and easy.

But over the last few months, I realized that it has nothing to do with linux programming being hard.... it's just different. Once I started learning about things like threads, and sockets in linux I realized that really, linux is easier to program in... for me at least.

So, as of 3 weeks ago I decided to completely drop windows :) Anyway.... I'm sorry... I know this isn't a linux / windows conversation :) got side tracked :)

After using the IDE's I have started using kate in KDE... and I really like that a lot better now.... It has the syntax highlighting that I like, and it's simple..... I like that it has the built-in terminal as well. Also, I like the tabs along the side, excellent for quick access to multiple files.

Plus, now I'm learning about makefiles, something I was afraid of before because of my IDE dependance.

Well, Long story short, for development environment, I like Kate with makefiles :)

Sorry for the long rant :)

Mike
Michael RhodesTiger Studios Web Designhttp://tigerstudios.net
I am looking for a good IDE but the one's listed don't seem to fullfill my needs (well, xemacs does, but that's just too spartan even for me. It's just emacs with a few ulgy buttons added).

I need syntax highlighting for the following languages:
- C/C++
- Python
- PHP
- HTML/XML
- &#106avascript
- Bourne Shell (optional)

and have a built-in FTP client (I want to browse my FTP from within the program)

I have played around with Bluefish a bit but gnome_vfs support appears to be broken (It's technically just HTML/PHP but it can highlight anything through PCRE). The reason I want so many languages support is because I don't want to install lots of different IDE's on my system. Just one that is _good_.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement