Advertisement

Network troubles!

Started by January 19, 2005 09:58 PM
4 comments, last by flukus 19 years, 7 months ago
I've had this problem for a while now but got around it by using the 2.4 kernel instead of 2.6 (with simplyMepis). Basicly my net connection is dodgy. Sometimes I can view sites sometimes I can't (More foten than not I cant). I've tried to narrow down what the problem could be, I can ping anywhere on the internet and I can traceroute (and thus connect) to a handle full of websites. For example I can reach www.iprimus.com.au (my ISP), www.mepis.org but not google. This only happens when I'm using the 2.6 kernel in simplyMepis. 2.4 works fine, as does windows and a couple of other live CDs I've tried. So does anyone have an idea on what could be wrong? Some further diagnostic suggestions? or some more specific information I should supply? thanks!
You're not using any http-proxys are you? Check the proxy preferences from your browser...

Try different browser if this didn't help (in case your browser has some weird settings (like firefox http pipelining)). I suggest links or lynx.

You can't google you say.. do you mean that you can't ping/traceroute it.. probably google is blocking ICMP.
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Winograd
You can't google you say.. do you mean that you can't ping/traceroute it.. probably google is blocking ICMP.

I can ping but not traceroute.

I also find that even when using the 2.4 kernel apt-get can't find any repositories, yet if I open up the ftp sites in mozilla first then apt-get will work fine.
echo "0" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn
and let me know how you feel in the morning
Quote: Original post by C-Junkie
echo "0" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn
and let me know how you feel in the morning

Didn't seem to do anything, was there supposed to be any output?
I tried another distro that uses a 2.6 kernel (lampix) and the same problems occured. So it seems to be a debian and/or 2.6 kernel problem if thats helps any!

Could it be an incompatability with my router?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement