Advertisement

2 questions...

Started by January 11, 2005 09:32 PM
10 comments, last by Null and Void 19 years, 8 months ago
1.Installing Nvidia drivers: When I try to run the setup I get an error telling me that I dont have the kernal image or something like that and I have no idea what to do. Please help. 2.Mouse freezes: Every once and awhile my mouse will freeze and I will have to unplug and then plug it back in. BTW: I am using Debian.
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
1. To do it the "Debian way": Add the non-free repository to your apt sources (if it's not already there). Then, if you're using Linux 2.4.27, apt-get install nvidia-kernel-2.4.27-1-your_kernel's_cpu_type (that's the only version currently with prebuilt packages of the NVidia modules). Otherwise, apt-get install kernel-headers-your_kernel's_version-your_kernel's_cpu_type nvidia-kernel-source nvidia-glx and then follow the instructions in /usr/share/doc/nvidia-kernel-source/README.Debian. If you have any problems, feel free to ask.

2. I have no idea. It could be the X server, your kernel version, or possibly the hotplug scripts. What type of mouse is it?
Advertisement
Whenever your mouse freezes you should switch over to the terminal (Ctrl+Alt+1) and move the mouse around and see what error it generates. That may help you with your problem (i.e. it being USB related or something).
Quote: Original post by Null and Void
1. To do it the "Debian way": Add the non-free repository to your apt sources (if it's not already there). Then, if you're using Linux 2.4.27, apt-get install nvidia-kernel-2.4.27-1-your_kernel's_cpu_type (that's the only version currently with prebuilt packages of the NVidia modules). Otherwise, apt-get install kernel-headers-your_kernel's_version-your_kernel's_cpu_type nvidia-kernel-source nvidia-glx and then follow the instructions in /usr/share/doc/nvidia-kernel-source/README.Debian. If you have any problems, feel free to ask.

Im new to this whole Linux thing and I don't know how to edit sources.list, I know how to add repositories from reading the apt HOWTO but I am not able to save it. I figure that means that I need root access but the only way I know how to get into root is to use the recovery mode or through the root terminal. And through those ways I don't know how to edit files.
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
You can use su command to become as root.. perhaps more secure way is just to use
su -c _your_command_here_, which only executes this one process with root priviledges
Quote: Original post by Winograd
You can use su command to become as root.. perhaps more secure way is just to use
su -c _your_command_here_, which only executes this one process with root priviledges

I just figured out how but thanks anyways.
Advertisement
nano is nice for editing files at a terminal. it *should* be installed already, I think...
@Null and Void: The non-free repository seems to be empty on every site I look at.
Quote: Original post by C-Junkie
nano is nice for editing files at a terminal. it *should* be installed already, I think...

Yeah it was, thanks.
*Bump*
Ok for this link it seems it wont be possible for me to get the drivers the way Null and Void suggested, is there another way?

P.S: Its a microsoft mouse.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement