Advertisement

CVS on Unix

Started by October 21, 2004 10:10 AM
4 comments, last by etothex 19 years, 10 months ago
I've looked for the CVS on unix machine I'm logged into, but I can't find it -- is it called something special on most Unix machines?
"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't." -Pete Seegerwww.lucid-edge.net
Usually it's called simply "cvs", but without details about which unix you are running, and whether you are trying to reach a repository or trying to find the client, and what you've tried so far, it's impossible to tell what you need to look for.

Advertisement
Sorry, I'm trying to find the client cvs program on a Compaq Tru64 5.1a machine.

Strangely I can't find the executable at all -- I looked at the Tru64 site and it should be apart of the open source pack, but maybe I'm thinking my administrator didn't install the darn thing.
"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't." -Pete Seegerwww.lucid-edge.net
Quote: Original post by Lucidquiet
Sorry, I'm trying to find the client cvs program on a Compaq Tru64 5.1a machine.

Strangely I can't find the executable at all -- I looked at the Tru64 site and it should be apart of the open source pack, but maybe I'm thinking my administrator didn't install the darn thing.

Contact your administrator then and ask where cvs is. If s/he says it's not installed, whine about the lack of software.

Also, as a last-case, you could download the cvs source and compile it yourself. You'd have to copy the executables out manually and put them in a dir like ~/usr/bin/. And delete the source if you're on a quota.
Quote: Original post by etothex
Also, as a last-case, you could download the cvs source and compile it yourself. You'd have to copy the executables out manually and put them in a dir like ~/usr/bin/. And delete the source if you're on a quota.

Or just install it in your home directory (configure --prefix=/home/yourname ; make ; make install), and then add /home/yourname/bin to your PATH environment variable.

Lets not do things manually when you can let the autotools do it for you.

(I'm assuming that cvs uses the autotools, which is probably the case, but I'm not sure.)
"THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS REPORT IS CLASSIFIED; DO NOT GO TO FOX NEWS TO READ OR OBTAIN A COPY." , the pentagon
Quote: Original post by George2
Quote: Original post by etothex

Or just install it in your home directory (configure --prefix=/home/yourname ; make ; make install), and then add /home/yourname/bin to your PATH environment variable.

Lets not do things manually when you can let the autotools do it for you.

(I'm assuming that cvs uses the autotools, which is probably the case, but I'm not sure.)

Ahhh...you're right. I never thought of that. :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement