Advertisement

How do you have your desktop setup?

Started by October 15, 2004 08:42 PM
6 comments, last by eedok 19 years, 10 months ago
For me one of linux greatest desktop strengths is the ability to customize the gui however you want and I was wondering how other people have theres setup. Mine is KDE with 2 taskbars, top and bottom. The bottom taskbar has application buttons, lancher, knewsticker, kweather (kind of useless), kget, juk, knotes and a dialup applet. The top bar is the actual taskbar with the pager and auto hide on. When I tried suse they had a really cool applet for dialup so connecting/dc was reduced to a single click on the applet, I wish that was in the stock standard kde. Lycoris also has a nice cd mounting applet, I wouldn't mind something like that for all removeable media. So what customizations have you made to your desktop?
I have a gnome 2.6.8 desktop with two panels. The one at the top of the screen consists of: menus, shortcuts to folders, a mail applet, a (very useful) weather applet, application launchers, clock, and volume control. The panel at the bottom of the screen consists of: a window list, system tray, and workspace switcher.

[Edited by - bytecoder on October 16, 2004 2:18:12 PM]
Advertisement
KDE with 5 task bars. 3 of them set to auto-hide and "appear when mouse touches * part of screen." As far as the auto-hide panels go, on the bottom left corner of my screen I have Kweather, bottom right I have Clock, top left I have ksim.

The other two panels can be seen here:

i have my fluxbox toolbar at the bottom and that's about it.
task switcher at the bottom, launchers at the top. Clock at top. Virtual desktops on bottom.

I think it might be the gnome default layout. I don't much care about it unless I think I need another launcher icon on the panel.
fluxbox bar at the bottom

speaking of which, for some reason my tabs stopped grouping today, and I can't figure out why :/
Geordi
George D. Filiotis
Advertisement
it used to look like this: http://users.ox.ac.uk/~wadh2045/scrsht1.png now it's a fairly standard looking fluxbox, with lots of shortcut keys etc (before xfce4 I had a quite cool looking gnome setup, but there aren't any pictures online/that I have access to)
I like my Enlightenment desktop, with gkrellm or gdesklets on them, whichever I feel like using at the moment.. Best desktop ever.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement