Advertisement

KDE

Started by October 12, 2004 06:24 PM
6 comments, last by ontheheap 19 years, 11 months ago
I noticed Debian installed KDE when I installed it the other day. I figured I hadn't tried KDE in a while (at least a year) so I decided to boot KDE and see what's up. WOW! It has REALLY made progress! It's so... so mature looking. Very professional. OTOH I still like Gnome's simplicity, but there's some stuff about KDE I really like, like arts, the file browser (I have always, and still do, hated Nautilus), and the file selector (the new GTK one might be better in some ways than the old one but I still can't stand it). I wish Gnome was at least as polished, even if it didn't cram as much stuff onto the screen as KDE. Having a decent sound server and file selector of its own would be cool.
I like the DARK layout!
They're actually phasing ARTS out for KDE 4.0, iirc. Also, most GOME programs support esound ( esd ), which is almost the same things as arts. ( Of course now with dmix you can just use the ALSA API everywhere, and dmix will emulate hardware mixing without the arts/esd interface. )
Advertisement
I'm quite impressed with KDE's continued progress as well. It certainly has an OSXish look and feel going for it, which is fantastic in my opinion, particularly considering the usual state of Open Source projects. However, despite its good looks, it's still quite sluggish and rather bloated, which is why I'll stick with Fluxbox for now.
-bodisiw
Quote: Original post by me22
They're actually phasing ARTS out for KDE 4.0, iirc.

YAY! Caek and pi for everyone! Do you have any reliable sources for this? It's one of the most important improvements that can be made to KDE.

I just updated from 3.2 to 3.3, and I was impressed.
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=1452079 <-- that's where I saw it. ( shm's post, no reference. )

Regardless, here's a howto for using the dmix ALSA plugin: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_ALSA_sound_mixer_aka_dmix

* me22 huggles his hardware-mixing Audigy 2 ZS Platinum =)
I used to be fond of enlightment/gnome, but I've been using KDE lately and I love it! In fact, I love KDE and Slackware so much that I've decided to use linux as my sole operating system. I went ahead and removed my windows partition and gave linux all the extra space =) I would still like to write software for windows, so I've left my other computer alone (for now).

If you haven't already, check out kde-look.org. They have a huge assortment of user-submitted splash screens, icons, window decorations, backgrounds, system sounds, etc. I'm currently using the crystal window decoration, elektron background, and oltline beta icons.
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by ontheheap
I used to be fond of enlightment/gnome, but I've been using KDE lately and I love it! In fact, I love KDE and Slackware so much that I've decided to use linux as my sole operating system. I went ahead and removed my windows partition and gave linux all the extra space =) I would still like to write software for windows, so I've left my other computer alone (for now).

If you haven't already, check out kde-look.org. They have a huge assortment of user-submitted splash screens, icons, window decorations, backgrounds, system sounds, etc. I'm currently using the crystal window decoration, elektron background, and oltline beta icons.

Good, we are two now :)

I love KDE, in my humble oppinion it is faster and cleaner than Windows XP window manager. There are lots of pretty useful apps being developed for it, specially for development. I specially like the UML editor (umbrella?), it needs work, but is exactly was I was looking for for application design.

It has bugs, yes, but less and less everyday.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Yea, Umbrello is pretty nice. I definitely agree that KDE is faster and cleaner than window's window manager. Glad to see another person take the plunge =)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement