Advertisement

Grub on a floppy

Started by September 30, 2004 06:34 AM
4 comments, last by qwert 19 years, 11 months ago
I have made a grub boot floppy to test my new kernel. Every time I start Linux i have to write: >root (hd0,5) >kernel /boot/vmlinuz >boot Is it possible to automate this? I know that there is suppose to be a grub.conf file somewhere but I don't know where to put it or how to configure grub to use it.
grub.conf is located in /boot/grub/grub.conf . You can easily edit it, I'll give you one item of my grub.conf as an example:
timeout=5color light-gray/blue black/light-grayboot=(hd0)default=0title Gentoo 2.6.8 Gentoo Linux        root (hd0,0)	        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8-gentoo-r3  ro root=/dev/hdb1

Just adjust this to whatever you want.
Advertisement
I did not have any grub.conf file before. So I created one in /boot/grub/ but when I rebooted I got the same console and had to type everything again.

I use slackware 10 and that dist comes with lilo instead of grub so I had to download it from the slackware-current packages.
Actually it's not /boot/grub/grub.conf but /boot/grub/menu.lst
Many distros create a symbolic link named grub.conf because the name makes more sense but the actual config file is menu.lst
Quote: Original post by SwSh
Actually it's not /boot/grub/grub.conf but /boot/grub/menu.lst
Many distros create a symbolic link named grub.conf because the name makes more sense but the actual config file is menu.lst

This might be true, well I didn't know about it. However, it doesn't matter now as qwert hasn't got grub installed yet. In spite of grub.conf being a symbolic link to menu.lst, I'd recommend editing the grub.conf.
YES! I got it working.

I didn't realize that I had to do it manually:
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-faq.en.html#q4

I thought I could use grub-install.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement