Advertisement

Fedore core 2 64bit graphics card driver install

Started by September 08, 2004 07:27 PM
0 comments, last by kendallemm 20 years ago
I am completely lost on what to do here, <instruction: here> Can someone explain that in steps for me? I am pretty new to linux. I can do basic stuff though.
Simple enough:

Download the NVIDIA....run (... is some long blurb), open up a terminal, and as root run (either su or sudo, or log in as root if you really want to)
telinit 3

this'll bring you out of X mode and into console mode -- the NVIDIA installer requires this. then, login as root, cd to whereever you've saved the NVIDIA installer and
sh NVIDIA....run  (use the TAB key to autocomplete)

This'll give you a nice little installer. You should be able to hit "yes" for all the questions. It'll build the kernel interface and install the drivers and whatnot.

Then restart X by doing "telinit 5." Log in and run "glxinfo" -- you should see something like "direct rendering: Yes" and "server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation". If you don't then your machine is still set up to use the free NV driver -- you can fix this by opening up the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and changing the 'nv' driver to 'nvidia' in the "Device" section.

Hope this helps

KB
__KB

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement