Advertisement

problem installing packages in debian

Started by August 20, 2004 07:33 PM
7 comments, last by PPCThug 20 years ago
during debian installation, just after I selected what packages I wanted to install, my cd-rom stoped working, probably not linux's fault. darn cd-rom has been acting up for the past month or two. anyways I removed the cd rom, so now the cd/rw should be seen as the first cd, only problem is now linux didn't start up with the installation program, so how do I run the tasksel program? I tried typing in tasksel and it askes me if I updated somthing or other.
Bloodshed Dev-C++ 4.9.8.0 Mingw DX 9.0a DX SDK 6.1win2k#define WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEANthe Particle Projection Cannon fires a shimmering blue bolt, much like a cross between lightning and a sine wave that ripples along its path.mechwarrior 2 mercenaries, 4 particle projection cannons, thug chassis
So, the installer was finished except for package selection? (I just did a Debian install and can't remember when it asks for package selection for some reason. It was a Potato-era boot floppies installer though...)

I've literally never used tasksel, so I'm not sure what error message(s) it may have given you (if I could see it, it'd help :P). Have you tried entering apt-get update before running tasksel? Just to make sure, am I correct in assuming you're doing all of this as root?
Advertisement
Package selection stuff occurs after all the important installation. You can rerun the installer's config stuff by running dpkg-reconfigure base-config as root.
-- Jonathan
while installing the packages the cd stoped reading and just kept clicking, the screen kept going through a cycle, cd reset timed out, error reading track 95654 or somthing like that. when I type in tasksel it says no tasks set or somthing and have you updated your sources or somthing
I tried typing in dpkg-reconfigure base-config , as the root user and nothing seemed to happen.
thats all I can think of at the moment, the cd rom isn't working in windows or anything so like I said I took it out
Bloodshed Dev-C++ 4.9.8.0 Mingw DX 9.0a DX SDK 6.1win2k#define WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEANthe Particle Projection Cannon fires a shimmering blue bolt, much like a cross between lightning and a sine wave that ripples along its path.mechwarrior 2 mercenaries, 4 particle projection cannons, thug chassis
I tried apt-get update from root, it said updating somthing and such, tasksel still says no tasks found on this system, have you updated your source.
ok it seems apt-setup was the program or whatever I was looking for. unfortunatly it doesn't seem to see the cd/rw, even though the cd-rom was removed, so either its looking at the wrong cd or it doesn't see or understand my cd/rw. how do I find the cd/rw directory to type in?
I'm going to go look for anything that can tell me if debian has drivers for a hi-val 24x 10x 40x drive, but if anybody knows a quicker way to find out feel free to share.
Advertisement
ok, the apt-setup program or whatever can not auto detect the bloody cdrom, thats a bit obvious, whatever. can I copy the cd's contents onto a ntfs partition using windows and have it install packages off that partition?
ok I could just try it and find out, I probably have to mount the ntfs partition with the cd's on it. or I could try mounting the cd rw, though that doesn't seem to be working. ugh
never mind, I reinstalled debian. it is resolved.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement