Advertisement

Help needed with wine

Started by July 21, 2004 02:25 AM
4 comments, last by mrhollow 20 years, 1 month ago
Hi, I'm not very experienced with Linux and have a problem running Wine... I have RedHat 7 or 8 and I installed wine from an RPM but when I try to run it I get the following errors: wine: creating configuration directory '/home/jakub/.wine'... err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"x11drv.dll": libXv.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory Could not load graphics driver 'x11drv' err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\windows\\rundll32.exe" failed, status c0000142 wine: wineprefixcreate failed while creating '/home/jakub/.wine'. I don't really understand what's going on or how to fix it :X
Comrade, Listen! The Glorious Commonwealth's first Airship has been compromised! Who is the saboteur? Who can be saved? Uncover what the passengers are hiding and write the grisly conclusion of its final hours in an open-ended, player-driven adventure. Dziekujemy! -- Karaski: What Goes Up...
Wine typically either works or doesn't work. More often than not it doesn't work. However it looks like you might be able to get past that specific error with the command "mkdir ~/.wine".

You might want to look into downloading one of the gui configuration programs for Wine. I'm not sure if Redhat packages them with Wine itself or not.
Advertisement
Well, my root user has the wine folder and all but it still doesn' t work...

I think it's about that x11drv.dll missing or something...

btw, wine should work on my Os since it DID work before (from a source file, I used make and such to install it) but it kinda screwed up and I uninstalled it and installed a new version from an RPM...
Comrade, Listen! The Glorious Commonwealth's first Airship has been compromised! Who is the saboteur? Who can be saved? Uncover what the passengers are hiding and write the grisly conclusion of its final hours in an open-ended, player-driven adventure. Dziekujemy! -- Karaski: What Goes Up...
*bump*
Anyone ?
"anyone?"

not really, but the error message you posted talked about the home folder of a non-root user, and then you mentioned the root user having a .wine

/root/.wine won't do you much good because wine doesn't yet support global config files, and you don't really want to be running things as root if you don't have to

removing all traces of wine, inlcuding .wine folders in /root and home folders and then reinstalling wine is all I can think of that's fixed similar problems for me (you might like to try installing the wine setup program that's run by winesetuptk)
Quote: Original post by bobstevens
More often than not it doesn't work.

It's not really fair to make a blanket statement apparently based only upon personal experience.

It seems to be stable enough for companies like code weavers and transgaming to charge for their software which is based upon the wine sources.

Now I use regular wine to play Fallout, Fallout2, and Deus Ex, and a paid for subscription to Winex allows me to play Diablo II and other great games as well or better than they ran under windows.

-------

Koobazaur, it may be worth while to try downloading the latest version of wine from http://www.winehq.com.

You also didn't seem certain which version of Red Hat you are using, and that is probably fairly important. The download page appears to have different versions depending upon the version of red hat you have.

You may also wish to consider updating your system to a newer release (i.e. Fedora Core). I've not used red hat, but I've played around with fedora core, and it seems to be reasonable (My personal preference is to use a ports based system like Gentoo or Debian).

Cheers,
Aaron

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement