Advertisement

Newbie linux dev

Started by July 21, 2004 01:35 AM
4 comments, last by owl 20 years, 1 month ago
Hi, everybody... I found recently that I want to make applications under linux, but I have 2 question/problem that I couldn't figure out : 1-What is the difference between make, automake, autoconf ? I know what is make but I'm not familiar with the others, not to mention that I even don't know how to handle them. 2-I can't get Anjuta IDE to run, it always complains of missing gnome libs, although when I try to re-install the missing pakackegs it reports that it's already installed.Oh, forgot to mention that I'm using mandrake linux 9.2...these files gnome*.pc are not in PKG_CONFIG, so what should I do ? Thanks in advance.
automake and autoconf are utilities to generate apropiate make files for a particular system. Google for documentation about them, there are a lot.

Try "MinGW Studio" first (it's an clone of MS Visual Studio for linux), make some apps for linux, and then, if you feel like learning, try automake and autoconf from the command line, with the help of some tutorials.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Advertisement
first, thank you....
I tried kdevelop before, but the problem is that I can't pass link flags the way I want, I'm using allegro & allegroGL and I need to run a script 'allegro-config' to return libraries I need to link against... I heard that Anjuta works here fine but I can't get it to run !
Quote: Try "MinGW Studio" first (it's an clone of MS Visual Studio for linux)...

Um... Doesn't MinGW stand for "Minimalist GNU for Windows?"
Quote: Original post by merlin9x9
Quote: Try "MinGW Studio" first (it's an clone of MS Visual Studio for linux)...

They have a Linux port. It's work well enough; I've used it in the past.

[Edited to sound less like a jerk, and more helpful.]
Quote: Original post by merlin9x9

Of course. But if you add "Studio" to that, it becomes the name of another program, the one I'm talking about :)
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement